Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Vacation

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 pm

It's that time of year again... A week from tomorrow I'll be heading out on vacation, mostly to enjoy the Carowinds and Kings Dominion amusement parks (and possibly Busch Gardens Williamsburg as well). I'll be traveling from Cincinnati to Charlotte first, and from there to Virginia, before returning home on the 19th.

I have found two sirens that I might try to photograph depending on how much time I have:
Darley Champion at the municipal building in Jellico, TN
Model 5 near the fire department in Bat Cave, NC (near Chimney Rock)

Anything else interesting I should know about?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Re: Vacation

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm

What Interstates and other routes will you be traveling? If you're coming through West Virginia, you can check my siren map for locations. I know of some others in Northern Virginia as well, though Allenorgan is a better source for Virginia locations.

EDIT: I actually went and looked up your travel routes as recommended by Google Maps. Going from the Richmond (Kings Dominion) or Williamsburg area back to Cincinnati should take you straight through West Virginia via Charleston. Some particular sirens of interest include the Thunderbolt in Marmet (active for fire calls), a couple Thunderbeams (RSH-10) in Dupont City and Diamond/Belle, a black-and-yellow painted Modulator at the university campus in Institute, an STH-10 literally right on the town square in Milton, and an SD-10 in Ceredo.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”