fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

My “new” (to me) single phase ACA Allertor 125 Control Cabinet

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:14 pm

In early June while in Medina County at a 508, I met my friend and bought an ACA Control Cabinet from him.

This is a single phase ACA Allertor cabinet that came from Knox Township, OH, and before that was part of the Beaver Valley Nuclear Power Station’s old ACA siren system. As you may know, their system of old Allertors were saved from the scrap heap after Beaver Valley Nuclear Power Station scrapped their old system. Knox acquired 5 Allertor 125 sirens as well as other miscellaneous parts for Allertors, including this Control Cabinet. This particular cabinet was never installed on Knox Township’s system, as their Allertors were a variety of single phase and 3 phase units.

Knox Township more or less “converted” their single phase Allertors to three phase by purchasing new 10 HP three phase motors for them as well as new three phase motor starters. The control cabinets they installed were equipped with third-Party radios linking to the Homeworth and North Georgetown Fire Company’s frequencies for activation, and the ones which were single phase were gutted and had the new components installed.

Knox Township dedicated their tornado siren system on July 5, 2013.

In October 2018, a post was made on Facebook by C & K Early Warning Systems, our regional dealer for Sentry Siren, Inc. announcing Knox Township’s new sirens. These new sirens were installed on March 23, 2019, according to the Chairman of Board of Trustees. The pictured units were of a 3V8-H-B, which was installed on private property at Brunner Farm, and of a white and green 14V siren (two of them have this unique color scheme, which is the color scheme of the local West Branch school district, according to the Trustee). They replaced all 5 Allertor locations (the 5th Allertor at Brunner Farm was only up for about a year before it was destroyed during a storm and only the pole remained until the new siren was installed. All new sirens are not yet online as they are waiting for electric service to be installed at all five locations.

Anyways, this cabinet went unused and sat in the township’s service garage for years and was placed in the junk pile near a dumpster once the Allertors were scrapped. My friend, passing through the area, was curious and checked to see if they were still there. The sirens had already been scrapped but this cabinet was still there sitting near the dumpster to be scrapped. My friend picked it up, took it home, and cleaned it out, and then gave it to me. The ACA logo was refurbed because his mom runs a graphic design business and was able to get a new decal printed and affixed onto the cabinet.

I took everything but the capacitors because they are hazardous and since I will be moving to a new home soon on the other side of Ohio (my father recently got a new job, necessitating the move) and since I plan on displaying this cabinet anyways and have no actual use for it I decided not to have the capacitors. The mounts for them were bent anyways. This siren was in storage in the Knox Township service garage for spare parts and sat there for the time the sirens were installed.

This was ex-Beaver Valley Siren 511 according to the cabinet, and that siren site is now an Equinox.

I’d attach photos, but it appears that unfortunately, I cannot use the attachment feature and have it actually work anymore...
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

fire_freak_57

Re: My “new” (to me) single phase ACA Allertor 125 Control Cabinet

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Anyone know why the attachments feature is no longer working? I'd love to post pictures of this cabinet for you all to see, but apparently I can't do that. I upload the images, but the files don't pop up.
sirenfreak57

uncommonsense

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Anyone know why the attachments feature is no longer working? I'd love to post pictures of this cabinet for you all to see, but apparently I can't do that. I upload the images, but the files don't pop up.
Not sure. I just tried it and it's not working for me either. I'll let the dev team know.

fire_freak_57

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 pm

uncommonsense wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 pm
fire_freak_57 wrote:
Not sure. I just tried it and it's not working for me either. I'll let the dev team know.
Thank you. Hopefully a fix is on the way.
sirenfreak57

fire_freak_57

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 pm

I wanted to let you all know, I found the Equinox that replaced the single phase ACA Allertor 125 my control cabinet came from. The siren number is 511, and it is located in East Liverpool, OH (Columbiana County) at an old fire station on Elizabeth St.

The exact geographical coordinates are: 40.63859, -80.53546.

This was one of the first Equinoxes ever installed in the field. If you are not already aware, the advent of the 2001-Equinox (and later the 508) was solely because of FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company (FENOC) signing a contract with Federal Signal in 2011 to upgrade and replace the existing Prompt Alert Siren Systems at two of the three nuclear plants that FirstEnergy Nuclear operates (now called FirstEnergy Solutions after FENOC and FirstEnergy Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a couple years ago and FENOC was reorganized into FES). Those plants are the Beaver Valley (Nuclear) Power Station (BVPS) in Shippingport, PA, and the Perry Nuclear Generating Station in North Perry, OH. Sirens at Davis-Besse were not upgraded as they had been updated prior to the 2011 revision of the NRC/FEMA requirements that required all nuclear power plants to have Prompt Alert Siren Systems utilizing electro-mechanical sirens which produce a 500 hz. tone, and all sirens had to have battery backup. Since Davis-Besse's system already had battery backup, the sirens were not upgraded.

Because Federal Signal is popular in this area, it's likely they went for the bid in order to avoid having ANS/American Signal win this bid. However, they knew that they did not have a siren available that "meets the design objectives of NUREG-0654, Appendix 3" (Supplement 4 adds the new 2011 revisions regarding siren systems at nuclear plants). Thus, engineers at FS were tasked with creating a product that satisfied these design requirements, and they decided to do this by creating a siren that was 8 port and based upon their current best-selling electromechanical siren, the 2001-130. And thus, the Equinox was created.
sirenfreak57

fire_freak_57

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:16 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 pm
I wanted to let you all know, I found the Equinox that replaced the single phase ACA Allertor 125 my control cabinet came from. The siren number is 511, and it is located in East Liverpool, OH (Columbiana County) at an old fire station on Elizabeth St.

The exact geographical coordinates are: 40.63859, -80.53546.

This was one of the first Equinoxes ever installed in the field. If you are not already aware, the advent of the 2001-Equinox (and later the 508) was solely because of FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company (FENOC) signing a contract with Federal Signal in 2011 to upgrade and replace the existing Prompt Alert Siren Systems at two of the three nuclear plants that FirstEnergy Nuclear operates (now called FirstEnergy Solutions after FENOC and FirstEnergy Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a couple years ago and FENOC was reorganized into FES). Those plants are the Beaver Valley (Nuclear) Power Station (BVPS) in Shippingport, PA, and the Perry Nuclear Generating Station in North Perry, OH. Sirens at Davis-Besse were not upgraded as they had been updated prior to the 2011 revision of the NRC/FEMA requirements that required all nuclear power plants to have Prompt Alert Siren Systems utilizing electro-mechanical sirens which produce a 500 hz. tone, and all sirens had to have battery backup. Since Davis-Besse's system already had battery backup, the sirens were not upgraded.

Because Federal Signal is popular in this area, it's likely they went for the bid in order to avoid having ANS/American Signal win this bid. However, they knew that they did not have a siren available that "meets the design objectives of NUREG-0654, Appendix 3" (Supplement 4 adds the new 2011 revisions regarding siren systems at nuclear plants). Thus, engineers at FS were tasked with creating a product that satisfied these design requirements, and they decided to do this by creating a siren that was 8 port and based upon their current best-selling electromechanical siren, the 2001-130. And thus, the Equinox was created.
Bump, but I do want to add for clarification that all the plants besides Perry (which had Whelens) had contracts with FS prior to the development of the Equinox for FirstEnergy's nuclear plants to meet NUREG-0654, Appendix 3, Supplement 4 (2011 Revision) requirements.
sirenfreak57

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”