SirokatM1
YouTube Username: Sirokat

How do i take the chopper off of a Model A/Other small siren?

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:00 pm

This question goes for both my Model A and HOR. How do i take off the chopper? Do i need some sort of device to pull it out? Is there any low maintenance way to take it out?
17 year old enthusiast from Columbus, Ohio
Proud owner of:
- Federal Enterprises Model 2
- Federal Electric Model 2 (damaged)
- Federal Electric Type A
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1
- Federal Electric Model A-5

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: How do i take the chopper off of a Model A/Other small siren?

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 pm

I have previously attempted to remove the rotor to my Model D, however, I was unsuccessful. Here's what I know:
1. remove the screw/Allen key from the shaft that holds the rotor in. Early Federal sirens have 1-2 small flathead screws inside, while the older ones have a small threaded Allen head, that requires an Allen key to remove.

2. LIGHTLY hammer the shaft while griping the rotor. some have it easier than others, so keep that in mind. if that doesn't work, try lightly sanding the exposed shaft don to reduce the diameter and get rid of any rust that could get in the way.

3. If that fails, then the other suggestion I received was to use heat, namely a torch. Do not stick it in one spot for an extended time, as that will damage the rotor or cause it to become unbalanced. lightly circle the flame around the shaft so the metal may expand, then pull the rotor out.

As I said, I am not an expert, but this is advice I have received in the past.
I hope this helps!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

SirokatM1
YouTube Username: Sirokat

Re: How do i take the chopper off of a Model A/Other small siren?

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 pm
I have previously attempted to remove the rotor to my Model D, however, I was unsuccessful. Here's what I know:
1. remove the screw/Allen key from the shaft that holds the rotor in. Early Federal sirens have 1-2 small flathead screws inside, while the older ones have a small threaded Allen head, that requires an Allen key to remove.

2. LIGHTLY hammer the shaft while griping the rotor. some have it easier than others, so keep that in mind. if that doesn't work, try lightly sanding the exposed shaft don to reduce the diameter and get rid of any rust that could get in the way.

3. If that fails, then the other suggestion I received was to use heat, namely a torch. Do not stick it in one spot for an extended time, as that will damage the rotor or cause it to become unbalanced. lightly circle the flame around the shaft so the metal may expand, then pull the rotor out.

As I said, I am not an expert, but this is advice I have received in the past.
I hope this helps!
Thank you very much! I'll take this into consideration.
17 year old enthusiast from Columbus, Ohio
Proud owner of:
- Federal Enterprises Model 2
- Federal Electric Model 2 (damaged)
- Federal Electric Type A
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1
- Federal Electric Model A-5

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”