SirokatM1
YouTube Username: Sirokat

Columbus, OH's Old CD/Tornado Siren System

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 pm

So recently I've been trying to find out what happened to Columbus' old siren system. I am aware of two deactivated Thunderbolts and an STL-10 downtown, but what else was in the system? When did the system start getting replaced? What happened to the sirens after un-installment? Whatever it is that ya'll know, I'd be more than happy to hear your information!
17 year old enthusiast from Columbus, Ohio
Proud owner of:
- Federal Enterprises Model 2
- Federal Electric Model 2 (damaged)
- Federal Electric Type A
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1
- Federal Electric Model A-5

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Re: Columbus, OH's Old CD/Tornado Siren System

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 am

SirokatM1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 pm
So recently I've been trying to find out what happened to Columbus' old siren system. I am aware of two deactivated Thunderbolts and an STL-10 downtown, but what else was in the system? When did the system start getting replaced? What happened to the sirens after un-installment? Whatever it is that ya'll know, I'd be more than happy to hear your information!
I heard that their old Thunderbolts were scrapped following their removal. Where is the STL-10 you speak of? I know where the Thunderbolts are.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

SirokatM1

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:01 pm

I cant remember the exact location right now, but I found it on top of a building in the southeast part of downtown on google earth. When I get the time i will find you that location.
Proud owner of:
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1

Tuba

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:48 am

According to this video (all credit to Calvin Mayer), this STL-10 was a Columbus unit.
So I assume some old ones may be out there, just not in Franklin county.

https://youtu.be/GMgo2cckxAk

Also, someone made a map of the CD system a couple years ago. The search function isn’t working for me, so I can’t find it right now.

Also, GO BUCKEYES!
Whelen gang

OHIO Desperado

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm

THe old sirens were scrapped or given to other Cities or Towns to be used. The Thunderbeam in Hebron is one or the old sirens from Columbus.

I don't know when the county took over the sirens, and went to Whelen, but prior to that they were City and township owned. The reason for the removal of them was pretty easy though. If there is a siren not working, people will call about it even if there is a siren right next to it that is operational.

It's been said that Franklin County has one of the biggest if not the biggest deployment of Whelen sirens.

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

I know of a Federal Signal Model 5 located at a fire station somewhere near downtown. A WPS-3016 replaced it but the Model 5 still stands.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

SirokatM1

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Thank you guys for all the info so far! I really appreciate learning more about the old system. I have lived here since the last Thunderbolts were being uninstalled. Basically, I have lived here all my life. I am also curious as to what other siren models they had. I know about the Model 5, the STL's, the Thunderbolts etc. Im pretty sure there was at least one STH right?
Proud owner of:
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:04 am

kb8vul wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm
THe old sirens were scrapped or given to other Cities or Towns to be used. The Thunderbeam in Hebron is one or the old sirens from Columbus.

I don't know when the county took over the sirens, and went to Whelen, but prior to that they were City and township owned. The reason for the removal of them was pretty easy though. If there is a siren not working, people will call about it even if there is a siren right next to it that is operational.

It's been said that Franklin County has one of the biggest if not the biggest deployment of Whelen sirens.
There was at least one if not two Franklin County CD sirens (Both Thunderbolt 1000’s, 1952 units) that were Federal Enterprises units. These units came from Cleveland/Cuyahoga County after CD was closed in the city and county in 1972 and all sirens were gone by 1973 (save for a couple suburbs that bought theirs off the county for use as weather sirens, and about 5 that were simply left abandoned to rot). There was a news article I believe with that siren in a picture on here but I cannot access it at the moment as search function is broken.

If I remember correctly that Thunderbolt went somewhere in Franklin County outside Columbus and is now long gone. One of their STL-10’s may have come from Cleveland as well as a place in Cuyahoga County had them but I’m not aware of that (as far as I know that STL could’ve been a fire siren and not used for CD purposes).
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Glist
YouTube Username: Glist

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 am

fire_freak_57 wrote:
There was at least one if not two Franklin County CD sirens (Both Thunderbolt 1000’s, 1952 units) that were Federal Enterprises units. These units came from Cleveland/Cuyahoga County after CD was closed in the city and county in 1972 and all sirens were gone by 1973 (save for a couple suburbs that bought theirs off the county for use as weather sirens, and about 5 that were simply left abandoned to rot). There was a news article I believe with that siren in a picture on here but I cannot access it at the moment as search function is broken.

If I remember correctly that Thunderbolt went somewhere in Franklin County outside Columbus and is now long gone. One of their STL-10’s may have come from Cleveland as well as a place in Cuyahoga County had them but I’m not aware of that (as far as I know that STL could’ve been a fire siren and not used for CD purposes).
Not even close. Columbus purchased nine gridfaced "Bumblebolts" in June of 1952, only one of which is known to still exist in private possession. I've no idea where you got this info from, but they were not purchased from the city of Cleveland.
Attachments
columbus.png
A Columbus Bumblebolt shortly after installation.
columbus.png (488.15 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Indiana-based Thunderbolt fanatic who finally heard his first Thunderbolt on October 2nd, 2018.
Owner of The Thunderbolt Siren Map since May 19th, 2021.
All of my siren recordings (Playlist) | Every siren I've documented (Map)

SirokatM1

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Glist wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 am
fire_freak_57 wrote:

Not even close. Columbus purchased nine gridfaced "Bumblebolts" in June of 1952, only one of which is known to still exist in private possession. I've no idea where you got this info from, but they were not purchased from the city of Cleveland.
Where in Columbus was that picture taken? Very neat to hear at least one is saved too.
Proud owner of:
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”