Sean juth
YouTube Username: Sean juth

Homemade siren pole setting question

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:52 pm

I'm building a homemade siren that I plan to put up in my backyard, I do however have some problems I need to get fixed. The whole setup weighs 25 pounds, is mounted on a fence post, and the center of gravity is off. Can anyone give me specific details regarding digging the hole and setting the pole securely with out concrete?
PLEASE DONT TAKE ANYTHING I SAY SERIOUSLY!
Sean C
I own a whelen 2800 cell, a busted beyond repair 2904 (used to be a 2909) and a black whelen 400 watt speaker driver.
I want the model d from Paint Rock Alabama
Huntsville Alabama Native

Taterworks

Re: Homemade siren pole setting question

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:23 am

I found these recommendations from PG&E for temporary service poles: 20 ft above ground, 4 feet below ground. This means whatever the exposed length of the pole will be above ground, you need to have 1/5 of that length below ground. You need to dig a narrow hole with a cone shaped bottom to keep the pole centered while you are setting it. Then after backfilling around the pole, ram the soil good and hard to pack it down. Maybe do that several times as you fill in the hole to make sure all the soil around the post is fully packed. Whatever length pole you have, you probably should have at least 3 feet of the length set underground, but for poles longer than 18 feet follow the 1/5 rule.

Guying wires might be necessary until the ground has fully hardened.

https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/ ... 025055.pdf

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”