PGM

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:53 am

Depending on were this person recorded this siren he could have been in another county were this siren was located and been hearing sirens in other countys When the siren I at winded down I still herd sirens from the neighboring county still sounding and finally winding down.

dboyle

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:52 pm

Hello everyone.

I saw a link referring me to this site, which contains a link referring me to the other forum. the first link refers you to the Schumin forum, where I posted. the second link refers you to my web account.

I'm Dan, and I actually made that recording during the TMI siren test. I didn't expect my recording to make it on different forums!!! :lol:

I was very close to the cumberland/york county line. for those familiar with the area, that was the siren on marsh run road, near the army depot. I stood directly under it while I recorded.

the first sirens that kick on probably came from across the susquehanna river. marsh run road runs parallel to the PA turnpike, which runs parallel to the river in that area. off the top of my head, I can't think of where the nearest siren is away from that.

I don't know exactly what brand it was. it was yellow, had a circular horn, and rotated when it was activated. that's about all I can tell you.

again, it's nice to meet everyone and take the fame for my recording.

here's a direct link to the site I'm hosting it on.
http://www.paonline.com/dboyle
scroll down and click on "listen to the recent TMI siren test here".

Dan
Last edited by dboyle on Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirenMadness

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:57 pm

I think you're referring to the Hurricane 130; I'm very surprised!
~ Peter Radanovic

jkvernon

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:10 pm

Now lets not go off and assume. Do a little research first. The recording of an ACA P-10. It's right here on this forum...

http://community.schuminweb.com/cgi-bin ... 621051/0#0

PGM

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:35 pm

Hey Dan did you get rained on there was a storm comming over when I pulled up to my siren and it started dumping rain. Luckly it stopped just before the test but I was worried there lol

kswx29

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Dan,
Nice to see you on another fourm, i am Simplex 29 from the schuminweb. Sorry i posted it here without your consent but i know a lot of people who really wanted to hear a P-10. Again i am so sorry. I hope you arnt to angry:)

dboyle

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:35 am

nah it's cool man. I don't mind, really.

it didn't rain here during the test. I remember earlier that day, though, the clouds looked kinda threatening.

and yes, you can hear my choice words. I parked my car directly at the base of the siren's post and stood there at the trunk with my mini tape recorder. I heard the solenoid then the siren blew my ears off. I ran away and shouted "oww! mother.......!!".

next year I hope to get a video recording. does anyone else live in the TMI area? do they always do the test on june 29th? this is the second year in a row that it was on that day.

I've been around for a couple annual tests, and (thankfully) one false activation a few years back.

Rheems1

Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:45 pm

I almost got rained on where I was at, I went up to Ridge Rd between Green Tree Rd and Rideview Rd in Elizabethtown. I had the perfect distance between a P-10 (On Ridgeview Rd) and a new 2001 on Cloverleaf Rd. I had my recorder.... pushed record when they started up... and than the recorder died. So I didn't get my recording, which really sucks because you haven't heard a concert until you have heard a 2001 and a P-10 going at it. It is very different.... lucky for me I live in Elizabethtown so I can record it next year. I, just like PGM, live about 6 miles the other way from the Londonderry Fire Department and I to can hear it most nights... loud and clear as a matter of fact. I also used to run fire at the Londonderry Fire Department and the bunkroom is right underneath the Cyclone. Let me tell you, there is no sound like being awoken from a dead sleep like that of a Cyclone. The only slightly good news is that the Cyclone is one of two TMI sirens used for fire department purposes in Dauphin County... and to activate the Londonderry Cyclone or the Hummelstown 2001 it requires DTMF tones... so once you hear the DTMF start dropping you have a second to cover your ears or in my case.. run for my gear. As for Dan's location... that is a darn good location to pick... you have the P-10 right there, you have the Cyclone at Highspire, the P-10 by the Turnpike Admin building, and the three Cyclones at TMI (which could barely be heard in person).

Dave

PGM

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:16 am

I was located at the Londondery Fire Company near Middletown for there Cyclone and trust me my ears were rining after that. They also use this cyclone for fire calls and it does a 4 cycle sound. I live about 6 miles from there and I can here it from my house when they get a fire call. The test varies. Last time they did it was was a few months ago and they did it at 2:00 in the afternoon. The time before that was like last December and that was a 6:15 pm test. You just have to here it from the media to find out when the test will be conducted. THey usually don't do a montly test like Peach Bottom or Limerick would do. They list an 888 number that goes to Amer Gem or how ever you spell it lol that if you here a siren that does not sound to call that number and report it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”