Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Re: A few Curry County, Oregon ex SONGS STL-10s found

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:53 am

I'm going to try and get in contact with curry county's EMA director and chat with him a bit. as for the cabinet, it likely was openable but i didn't think to check it.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

uncommonsense

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:40 am

Model L wrote:
I'm going to try and get in contact with curry county's EMA director and chat with him a bit. as for the cabinet, it likely was openable but i didn't think to check it.
Good choice. As a reminder to the community it is never appropriate to start exploring inside cabinets when the siren isn’t yours or you do not have explicit permission.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:08 am

Model L wrote:
That would be fantastic. Please ask him for all the locations, and ask him by chance if they got any Model 120s, just describe it to him. Also ask him where the removed sirens are or whatever. I tired to contact him once, but never got a response. You should try to obtain one if possible if they take down more. Now I don’t agree on how they decided to pull the BS excuses with the mobile alerts, but that’s a different story. I’m very glad someone got to finally check one out and get pictures more up close, especially of the cabinets. But I definitely want to see pictures of inside, even though since I have blueprints of the cabinets and the internals, I still want to see what they look like irl.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:40 am

A lot of the coastal counties in oregon did. tillamook county switched to mobile, as did curry county and I believe a few others. It would make more sense if phones didn't have batteries that could die, couldn't be silenced, were glued to your arm and had a perpetual 4 bars of cell service. of course, none of these things are true of current phones.
Really sad about tillamook, rockaway beach had a pretty interesting system that I never got to hear save for once when the fire department had to go on a call, though that was solely the sentry 10V, not the model 5's and model 2.
I would get a siren, but convincing the parents to let me keep what is quite a large lump of metal in the already packed garage might be a bit hard, and thats *if* they kept any, which given their decision, I would assume not.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Duderocks5539

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:52 am

Model L wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:40 am
A lot of the coastal counties in oregon did. tillamook county switched to mobile, as did curry county and I believe a few others. It would make more sense if phones didn't have batteries that could die, couldn't be silenced, were glued to your arm and had a perpetual 4 bars of cell service. of course, none of these things are true of current phones.
Really sad about tillamook, rockaway beach had a pretty interesting system that I never got to hear save for once when the fire department had to go on a call, though that was solely the sentry 10V, not the model 5's and model 2.
I would get a siren, but convincing the parents to let me keep what is quite a large lump of metal in the already packed garage might be a bit hard, and thats *if* they kept any, which given their decision, I would assume not.
Yeah, I don't really want to get on that topic because stuff like that really angers me, but definitely keep us posted on this. If they supposedly bought 23 sirens from the legacy system after they have been replaced by the Whelens, they might've not even installed most of them, and they are still sitting somewhere, if they got any Model 120s at all that they haven't installed and are willing to sell them, I'll definitely dive up there and bring a few home. Ask the EMA guy stuff like this if possible as well. Like describe what they look like to him compared to the STL-10s and if they got any.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.

Duderocks5539

Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:35 pm

I don’t know if this really derails this thread or not, but it’s still on the topic about SONGS’s sirens. So in the EPZ of the plant, one of the jurisdictions with the sirens is a state park just south of the plant, and there was 3 locations in that state park labeled SP-01, 02, and 04. But your probably wondering why it jumps from location 02 to 04? Well here’s the reason why,

When the system was originally installed in the early 1980s, there were actually 5 locations in the state park, SP-01, 02, 03, 04, and 05, and since the system first started out with a mix of Sentry 10V’s, 5V’s, and 3V8’s in late 1981, and then later all Sentries were swapped out to STL-10s in May 1982, the coverage between each location wasn't as high as the 120's were, so more locations and closer placement was needed, and then by June/July 1983 all of the STL-10s were going to be swapped out for Model 120s, which 120 prototypes started to be made and tested shortly after the STL-10s went in and performance testing was done on them. The STL-10s did work better then the Sentries, but still not good enough, but they did find out a lower pitch does work more effectively in that environment which is a reason why the 120s incorporated such a low pitch. So once they completed the final production Model 120s and did testing on them, they determined that's the sirens they will use and the plan was to change out all the STL-10s for 120s. But they only ended up swapping out 16 STL-10’s for 120s, with additional Model 120s added on later in 1987/1988 as new locations due to new land and housing/business development, and swapping out a few more additional sirens such as a Thunderbolt in San Clemente which was originally a CD siren for the city before SoCal Edison later taking over it and utilizing it for the community alert siren system for the plant, but the Model 120 ended up preforming better then that Thunderbolt which is why they replaced the Thunderbolt with a 120, and then one additional STL-10 location swapped for a Model 120, while the remaining 32 or so STL-10s were left in place. Even though the plan after the STL-10s also didn’t perform as Federal told Edison they would even greater then the Sentries, all the STL-10s were to be swapped to 120s, but they ended up only swapping out a handful of STL-10s for them due to it would costing another $1 million to make the system all 120s since the poles would have to be replaced with thicker and taller poles for the 120s since the Sentry/STL-10 poles were shorter and thinner, as well as having different mounting plates the 120s wouldn't be able to bolt to, and already it costed them $1 million to swap all the Sentries out for STL-10s. So that plan was abandoned and only 16 STL-10s were swapped out to Model 120s, with 5 additional ones installed as new locations with one swapping out the Thunderbolt in San Clemente which was already installed even before the Sentries were put in.

So location SP-04 was installed as a Sentry 5V then later an STL-10, then finally a Model 120, but then a few years after this, the plant realized the coverage from the 120 at that location overlapped the area’s that SP-03 and 05 were placed at which were STL-10s. So they realized those 2 locations really weren’t necessary anymore due to the 120 at SP-04 covering the areas SP-03 and 05 were in just fine. So in the mid to late 1990s or so, SP-03 and 05 were removed entirely, and were locations not used ever again or relocated, so those 2 locations obviously weren’t replaced by the Whelen's in the late 2005 replacement, but obviously in SP-04’s case, a 2810 went in place of the 120 that was there, just like with all the other locations that were 120’s, and 2806s went in place of the STL-10s.

So now that the fact that information is out of the way, I’ve had trouble locating where SP-03 and 05 were at, as in satellite imagery on google earth that is the earliest with the clearest imagery from 2002, those 2 locations weren’t visible as by then they have been removed, and I was told where the somewhat exact location of them were placed at, but didn’t have luck finding anything since imagery earlier then 2002 weren’t clear enough to make out smaller objects. So it wasn’t until a few months back when a friend of mine found a website that has birds eye imagery off the California coast as early as like the 1970’s, and I used that to look at clearer imagery that is better then google earth, as well as it being birds eye of SONGS locations that are placed closest to the water (locations that were more inland such as the locations that were in San Juan Capistrano, and more in the hills of San Clemente aren’t visible in this costal birds eye imagery, but I have found imagery that is especially clear of Model 120s and STL-10s from 2002 and 2004 that are placed in the cities of Dana Point, lower San Clemente, about 2 locations on Camp Pendleton, then the state park, as well as earlier in the 1980s, so then I wanted to search for where SP-03 and 05 were located at since this website has imagery from when they were still up, and finally, on imagery from 1989, I have finally located them. Then afterwards what I did is a jumped back to imagery from 2004 after those locations were removed, and I noticed some box shaped object in the same spot the cabinets for these 2 locations were at, so I thought to myself are the cabinets still there?!? So then I jumped to up to date satellite imagery, and those box objects are still visible, but have been covered more by the bushes and trees since the older imagery.

So then finally I never had the time to go down there and see for myself if those are truly the cabinets from those removed locations or not, but I was thinking to myself there is no other thing they could possibly be, until last week when we went down to Dana Point to our timeshare for vacation like we do every August, so I walk along the trail that SP-03 was located off of, and I stopped in the spot that box shaped object was at on satellite and birds eye imagery, and then hidden in the bushes and with some tree branches in the way, I see a hidden grey colored box and I get closer, and it had 2 doors on either side, with a little I.D tag on one side that had SoCal Edison on it and a location name, all of which matched the way they looked and are shown on the blueprints, and Low and behold, it is indeed the cabinet from SP-03 left there abandoned!!! So I pushed the bushes out of the way to get a closer look at it and the tag, and also what’s there on the right side of the pole really buried under grown over bush was about 3 feet of wood pole still in the ground on where the pole the siren was mounted on was.

I tried to also go see SP-05 which was down at the end of the state park, but unfortunately the property it’s on is apart of Camp Pendleton now and there is fence with wire on top so you can’t get in there, but if SP-03’s cabinet is still there, I’m sure SP-05’s is too since there is also a box in the same spot it’s cabinet and pole was on imagery. The cabinet didn’t have locks on it, but I couldn’t stay for too long there to be able to open it up, but all I could get is pictures and had to split. Eventually though I will go back down there and open it and get pictures of the insides of it and it’s controls, as well as asking about acquiring it to use on my 120, since the STL-10 and 120 controls used in the system were basically the same, except the 120s had 2 motor starters for the blower and rotor motor which I would need to install. And keep in mind, this is abandoned and wasn’t repurposed by the state park after Edison removed the siren associated with the cabinet. So it's no longer owned by Edison since technically its not there anymore since the siren associated with it was removed atleast 25 or so years ago, and the state park didn't take ownership over it and use it to house electricity for something else because if it was, they wouldn't let all that brush grow over it if there was something in there that maintance workers would need to access. So its technically a jurisdiction issue on who owns it now. My guess for why it’s still there is because the location was placed along a trail in the bushes, and they thought just the bushes would grow over it and hide the cabinet out of the way so removing it wouldn’t need to be done since its not out in the open really. But anyways, here’s some pictures I got of it. Very amazed that a remnant of the original siren system still exists in the EPZ of the plant still, and it’s ironic too because everything of the Whelen's is pretty much gone now as well, but something from the original system still lives on after everything of the original system was replaced 16 years ago.
Attachments
0FF54BF9-D583-4477-A2B7-8A593F12BD8E.jpeg
0FF54BF9-D583-4477-A2B7-8A593F12BD8E.jpeg (146.4 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
FB008E26-2790-4024-912B-4E4DF3E5EFD6.jpeg
FB008E26-2790-4024-912B-4E4DF3E5EFD6.jpeg (454.43 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
F872AFE6-D570-46D2-B029-10F763732B10.jpeg
F872AFE6-D570-46D2-B029-10F763732B10.jpeg (529.85 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”