murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:53 am

If that doesn't take the cake for the highest siren (which I think it probably does), it sure looks like the worst-shape Thunderbolt I've ever seen! I really hate to see these things neglected so badly like that, even if technology must progress. That was a fine machine for its time!
-Ian M.

kswx29

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:17 am

Man that is way up there. What is that building? Looks abandoned what ever it is. I wonder if the people at the bottom of the hill can even hear it, i would imagine the sound waves carry off far away rather then close.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

kswx29

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:21 am

Here are some somewhat high mounted sirens in the Topeka area.

Burnetts Mound - 2001 and 500AT both seen, and both mounted high.
http://www.dylan.helixweb.net/Files/1.21.jpg

Sherwood Dam
Click HERE
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

mhmcdonal

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:54 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:That was a fine machine for its time!
It probably seen better days when it echoed through the valley it now permanently faces. It looks as if CD tried to revive it again, being that it has a fresh looking digital power meter attached to it. The wooden boxes that house controls were pretty rotten. Although they were locked up, the hinges fell off and the door just dangled by the overgrown vines. The control box itself could easily be opened as well, but I'm not one to mess around with something that could easily create mass panic down below. Judging by the power meter displaying something, and the breaker in the ON position, I'd assume that the siren is still energized.
2t22boy wrote: What is that building? Looks abandoned what ever it is.
The building had a gate on it with a no trespassing sign. I think it belongs to the state or city & county.

acoustics101

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium ... n-cobb.jpg
The Irvin Cobb Hotel in Paducah, KY, now a home for the elderly, has a Thunderbolt siren mounted atop the 10 story tower in the back. If you look very closely you'll see it to the right of a chimney in the rear.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 pm

http://www.antiqueweekend.com/x/photo-p ... oto-11.htm
This picture of a Chrysler siren atop the RCA (now GE) Building at Rockefeller Center has to take the cake for the highest mounted siren.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

Daniel

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:29 am

Not to change the thread, but I was looking through the photos on the Chrysler site and I noticed that one had been sent to Arcata, California. Now I know that I'm not crazy -- that siren, or at least the stand for it, is still there on the north end of Arcata. I knew it when I saw it that there had been a Chrysler there, and it might still be there!
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

EL1998P71

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:40 am

Daniel wrote:Not to change the thread, but I was looking through the photos on the Chrysler site and I noticed that one had been sent to Arcata, California. Now I know that I'm not crazy -- that siren, or at least the stand for it, is still there on the north end of Arcata. I knew it when I saw it that there had been a Chrysler there, and it might still be there!

Whats the street it's on, you my be able to MSN live map it or google street view it.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

reception73

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:22 pm

mhmcdonal wrote:This one (Thunderbolt) is pretty high up on a mountain. It no longer sounds though: talked to CD about it and it's inactive status. It quietly overlooks the Honolulu skyline.
According to your Google map a new DSA Siren was installed in late October.

Federal Signal fan

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 am

The reason so many Whelen sirens are high up, is because Whelen Engineering tells that they should be placed 50 feet high for safety.

Josh
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”