murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:18 am

Federal Signal fan wrote:The reason so many Whelen sirens are high up, is because Whelen Engineering tells that they should be placed 50 feet high for safety.
They should tell that to whoever installed Perry, GA's Whelen Vortexes. They're only about 40' up at best :?
-Ian M.

Federal Signal fan

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:53 am

I'm sure everyone remembers the topic:

REAAALLLY low Whelen Vortex sounding wail

That Whelen is nowhere CLOSE to regulation placement. But who is to tell them what to do anyway? :wink:
Whelen Engineer Company wrote:A WPS-2800 system consisting of 5 or less speaker cells may use a Class 2 or Class 1 utility
pole. For systems consisting of 6 or more speaker cells, a Class 1 utility pole must be used.
The length of the utility pole is consistent regardless of speaker cell quantity. The total
length of the pole referenced within this document is 60 feet. The pole depth of the set pole is
10 feet, leaving a 50 foot pole as measured from the top of the pole to the ground. The utility
pole should be set in accordance with local codes.
The inside area of the pole top mounting bracket will accept a pole that is no greater than
10.00? in diameter. On large scale projects, it is beneficial to order the pole to be ?gained? to
a top diameter of 9.5? +/- .50? for the top 30? section of the utility pole.
http://www.whelen.com/install/135/13563.pdf
Whelen Engineering Company wrote:A WPS-4000-3 or WPS-4000-4 system may use a Class 2 or Class 1 utility pole. The WPS-
4000-8 requires the use of a Class 1 utility pole. The length of the utility pole is consistent
regardless of speaker cell quantity. The total length of the pole referenced within this
document is 60 feet. The pole depth of the set pole is 10 feet, leaving a 50 foot pole as
measured from the top of the pole to the ground. The utility pole should be set in accordance
with local codes.
The inside area of the pole top mounting bracket will accept a pole that is no greater than
10.00? in diameter. On large scale projects, it is beneficial to order the pole to be ?gained? to
http://www.whelen.com/install/135/13565.pdf
Whelen Engineering Company wrote:A WPS-2900 system consisting of 5 or less speaker cells may use a Class 2 or Class 1 utility
pole. For systems consisting of 6 or more speaker cells, a Class 1 utility pole must be used.
The length of the utility pole is consistent regardless of speaker cell quantity. The total
length of the pole referenced within this document is 60 feet. The pole depth of the set pole is
10 feet, leaving a 50 foot pole as measured from the top of the pole to the ground. The utility
pole should be set in accordance with local codes.
http://www.whelen.com/install/139/13947.pdf
A Hornet system may use a Class 2 utility pole. The total length of the pole referenced within this
document is 60 feet. The pole depth of the set pole is 10 feet, leaving a 50 foot pole as measured
from the top of the pole to the ground. The utility pole should be set in accordance with local
codes.
The inside area of the pole top mounting bracket will accept a pole that is no greater than 10.00?
in diameter. On large scale projects, it is beneficial to order the pole to be ?gained? to a top
diameter of 9.5? +/- .50? for the top 30? section of the utility pole.
http://www.whelen.com/install/131/13192.pdf
Whelen Engineering Company wrote:A Vortex system may use a Class 1 or Class 2 utility pole. The total length of the pole referenced
within this document is 60 feet. The pole depth of the set pole is 10 feet, leaving a 50 foot pole as
measured from the top of the pole to the ground. The utility pole should be set in accordance with
local codes.
The inside area of the pole top mounting bracket will accept a pole that is no greater than 10.00?
in diameter. On large scale projects, it is beneficial to order the pole to be ?gained? to a top
diameter of 9.5? +/- .50? for the top 30? section of the utility pole.
http://www.whelen.com/install/131/13168.pdf

I think this may clear some questions up a bit. :)

Josh.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Allenorgan42099

Re: High mounted sirens in the US

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 am

I don't think you can beat this... It is in Seaford, DE, on N. Pine St, near E. King St. It is on the very top of the tower. Calvin says it is an STH-10, but it looks more like an Eclipse 8 to me.

Street View link: http://goo.gl/maps/j6w5F

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 am

The highest mounted siren that I know of in Huntsville is the 2001-SRN at Jones Valley Elementary School.

By the way Allenorgan42099, you need a / in the closing tag for your Google Maps link.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Antiwhoknows
YouTube Username: antiwhoknows
Discord: GrnChkn#0926

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:56 am

Allenorgan42099 wrote:Calvin says it is an STH-10, but it looks more like an Eclipse 8 to me.
Definitely an Eclipse 8. You can easily tell from the flared projectors.
Federal Signal Model 2-240, Thunderbolt 1000AT, 3T22A
Federal Sign and Signal Model A
Federal Electric Type B
Sterling M Single Head

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 am

Antiwhoknows wrote:
Allenorgan42099 wrote:Calvin says it is an STH-10, but it looks more like an Eclipse 8 to me.
Definitely an Eclipse 8. You can easily tell from the flared projectors.
Hmm. Looks like I didn't take a very close look at it when I added it...

Oh, well. I need to update the Delaware map anyway. :wink:
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

MattDean1003

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Just a follow up to the post I saw earlier about Jackson County's sirens not being mounted to regulations, here's one at their fire department in downtown Jefferson.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=34.08053 ... 9&t=h&z=11

Now spin the camera around directly behind you and you will look uphill. Some of those houses are ear level with it. I know this is technically the wrong thread but just wanted to kinda piggbyack off the revive in this thread to show that most all of their sirens are mounted that way. Now, out in the countryside and at Arcade City Hall, they are mounted on telephone poles maybe 30 feet off the ground.
James M. Dean

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:09 pm

There's a Thunderbolt on the 26 story Richard B. Russell Federal Building in Atlanta, GA.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=33.75329 ... 1&t=h&z=21
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 pm

The WPS 2810 here in downtown Columbus is up pretty high up on a metal pole. I believe that this and another siren in the city were mounted on the same poles of the Thunderbolts they replaced. This actually is the first siren I recorded and put on YouTube.
Last edited by DJ2226 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Trevor
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Off topic but that building in the background looks like a smaller version of our Clark Tower in Memphis:

Trevor
AirRaidSirens.com Moderator
[email protected]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”