Blixt1000

YouTube Username: Blixt1000
Discord: Redi Wolf#8162

South-End Toledo Sirex?

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:28 pm

So, I was looking at the ancient system Toledo has and many enthusiast know Toledo only has 1 active Sirex atop the PNC tower but Toledo has more than 1 albeit derelict Sirexes. The other Sirexes have a 2001 nearby and one has a 2T22 near it. But one specific Sirex atop an abandoned factory labeled "The Product Forwarding Co" in Google Maps, has no 2001 nearby. I seriously looked everywhere if there was another siren nearby. The closest sirens I could find were a nearly a mile away and where the sirex is placed covers a good area where a School, a park and dozens of houses are. Even though it is said that the PNC Sirex was the only working one, I just cant find a reason for leaving an abandoned siren and not putting up a new one nearby or leaving the siren working endangering the public nearby because tornadoes, they will kill you and any other disaster i.e weather warnings, chemical spill, ect. The only map of Toledo has the Specific Sirex labeled as "unsure" and "probably not used anymore". I really don't know if it is actually is active or derelict or if it was mentioned on here before or if it is actually confirmed as not working so please bare with me.

The exact cords to the siren are: 41.643131, -83.556990 and the closest intersection is Hamilton St & City Park
https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2 ... 5657?hl=en
Image American Motors Company
Proud Owner of a Single-End Sterling Little Giant

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: South-End Toledo Sirex?

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:13 am

More than likely inactive, given the shape of the building that it's on.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:11 am

A similar situation happened in Cincinnati with the old Hudephol brewery. There is/was a Thunderbolt on the building that ceased functioning when the building was abandoned due to no power. I've also seen an SD10 in the same bucket in Cincinnati on a warehouse.

Your sirex is probably unused, and might not have a direct replacement due to better siren coverage (2001's can carry very far, and there's 2 nearish to that siren.) or due to other factors such as a decline in population around that specific area. Deer park used to have a 2nd siren according to the city manager, a federal signal from what he said, but it had no direct replacement since the new 128 behind the new fire station covered the town well.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:03 pm

Ohio_Man wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:11 am
A similar situation happened in Cincinnati with the old Hudephol brewery. There is/was a Thunderbolt on the building that ceased functioning when the building was abandoned due to no power. I've also seen an SD10 in the same bucket in Cincinnati on a warehouse.
As of summer 2019, that Thunderbolt is no longer standing, as at least the smokestack and that portion of the building were demolished. Which SD-10 are you referring to?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:28 am

At the intersection of section road and summit road are a series of vacant buildings, and one had an SD10 on it at one point. Not sure if its still there as construction was going on near there before Covid 19.

Coordinates for vacant building with siren: 39°11'51.2"N 84°28'13.3"W
Here's the map where I found the siren at, I was not doing any illegal trespassing.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 56239&z=17

Also I found a privately owned and operated model 5 not far from there at 39.198487094692446, -84.46631326415118 . Its on an unused fire station that is now privately owned. Owner was nice and had a decent chat with him.However it does not appear on the map. I think Murr farms was mapping out Cincinnati at one point.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:11 am

Ah, yes. That SD-10 was removed at some point within the last couple years. I don’t see it from I-75 or Ronald Reagan Highway anymore like I used to.

Interesting, I never knew about that Model 5! Must be an old fire siren, as it was never in the county system. Looking at the page for that property on the Hamilton County Auditor’s website, that used to be the Edgemont Volunteer Fire Department, located in that small sliver of Springfield Township. Address is 7455 Ross Ave.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”