hypersonic

Hand Crank Carter Air Raid Siren

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:07 pm

Hello,
I've been offered an old Carter siren to buy (it's in England). Does anyone know how rare/common these are and how much they might be worth? See the attached images.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Home office plate

It looks in 'ok' condition, it's a little hard to tell. I'm told it's in working order. It looks like it has been repainted. Do you know what colour they were during WWII? Is there anything obvious missing?

Really what I'd like is an electric Carter :D. Did the manual ones have the same rotor as the electric (although they only have one), generating a similar sound..?

I found one that sold on eBay for ?100
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Raid-Siren_W0 ... dZViewItem but they are wanting ?200-?250 ($370 USD - $460 USD) for this one.

Thanks for any info about this particular siren and how much it might be worth. If they are common, I might wait.

David

The Big Labowski

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:53 am

dont buy that one. carters come up on ebay usually 3-4 times a month and that one has been slathered with thick red paint. besides you can see that the paint job has many flaws and it would be b*tch to try and strip that paint off. unless you really like red and prefer it over gray, then buy it.
Bringing the joy of siren collecting to the chicago area and more!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”