q2bman

What is a disc siren?

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Anyone ever heard of this? They say that is uses the same principal as any rotor/stator siren but the chopper and stator is on a disc and air is forced through this disc. Any examples? I would love some pics or illistrations.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:14 pm

The "Big Joe" Chrysler siren was such a siren. It was the loudest siren ever made - 138 dB at 100 feet, maybe because it had a 180 hp gas engine! I don't know of any others. I have no expertise, but I often thought that a hobbyist trying to build a siren from scratch might have an easier time building a disc siren as opposed to casting a rotor and stator.

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/index.htm

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Well if you are talking about what I think you are, then I would think a Diaphone sorta is close to what you talk about. Does what your talking about use a motor? Or actually produce sound with air only? If so a Diaphone is your closest bet.

SirenMadness

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:08 pm

It is basically a spinning disc, the chopper, under a stationary disc, the stator. Yes, there is air being forced through the disc, because a disc itself does not move any air. But the term, "spinning disc" only goes through half the whole story of this: there are cylindrical versions, such as the H.L.S.; the main term you're looking for is most likely "compressed-air siren."
~ Peter Radanovic

Jim_Ferer

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:09 am

This will give you an idea: It's the face of the Chrysler siren with the projectors off.

q2bman

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:38 pm

8) cool thanks. Looks like a simple idea. I guess the forced air would come from a compressor like gadget being driven from the engine as well. 138 db wow!

Jim_Ferer

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:33 pm

q2bman wrote:8) cool thanks. Looks like a simple idea. I guess the forced air would come from a compressor like gadget being driven from the engine as well. 138 db wow!
I didn't see a schematic of the compressor assembly of the Chrysler siren, but the compressor might take the form of a multistage fan, like the compressor first stage of a jet engine. (Simpler, of course) I would think the fans and the disk would be on the same shaft.

Was there another mainstream disk siren than the Chrysler/Bell series? I'd like to see the true experts here discuss the merits of home-building a disk siren.

loudmouth

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:50 pm

ok im just thinking the thunder bolt uses a blower right is that work on the same idea as a blower or "super changer" for a car engine useing that same idea right ? cuse its not like a turbo which compreses the air and kinda looks more like a fan?
or am i just comfuseing my self here?

Jim_Ferer

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:30 pm

Thunderbolts used positive displacement blowers like a Roots blower (maybe it even *was* a Roots blower). I believe the Chrysler siren used fans.

Here's the Roots website: http://tinyurl.com/ofgtl

This is from Roots showing how a positive displacement blower works:

loudmouth

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 pm

aww ok cool same sorta idea with car blowers
thanks.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”