Mrs. Thunderbolt

Silly Thunderbolt question..

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:13 pm

I call myself Mrs. Thunderbolt, although I only have that name because I love them so much. We also have one that's over 50 years old here.

But, anyway, I caught the noon whistle in motion today, and also finished watching some T-bolt videos from the Civil Defense site. When the siren is going off, there is this constant "shhhh" sound. Is that the blower?

I know, it's silly. I'll accept any sarcasm, because I know it's so strong around here, it reeks. :lol:
Thanks,
~Nikki
Mrs. Thunderbolt

SirenMadness

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:16 pm

Yes.
~ Peter Radanovic

Jim_Ferer

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:53 am

SirenMadness wrote:Yes.
Has anyone ever recorded the sound of the blower by itself? I know it sounds stupid, but I'd be interested to hear it once.

Hacksaw

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:07 am

Welcome back, Nikki!

I'm amazed that in several Tbolt recordings you can hear the blower over the siren part. Maybe it's due to how directional the horn is.

SirenMadness

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:32 am

Jim_Ferer wrote:Has anyone ever recorded the sound of the blower by itself? I know it sounds stupid, but I'd be interested to hear it once.
I know that Adam Pollak has recorded the blower of his T-bolt 1003 {?}, while having this model A or another close variant struggling to work as it works against the blower. I don't know where the recording is, now that the old board is virtually empty.
~ Peter Radanovic

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:57 am

The blower doenst make a "shhh" sound, it makea a LOUD "WHRRRRRRRR" sound. More than likely your hearing traffic or background noises.

SirenMadness

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:11 pm

The blower itself is not responsible for the "shhh" sound, but also the air getting blown in by the blower. You can hear that in both of Eric's recordings of the restored Valley View's T-bolt.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”