SirenMadness

Wed May 17, 2006 9:41 pm

The signal does mean that a community-wide gas threat has been noticed, and it warns you to go to the nearest gas-proof shelter. For people out of one's range, their best thing to do is go up because gases tend to build up at lower levels.
~ Peter Radanovic

kswx29

Wed May 17, 2006 10:34 pm

But in Manhattan, Kansas' case it is sounded for an event of a earthquake strong enough to pose a threat of the Tuttle Creek Dam breaking and Flooding the City of Manhattan, but if that did happen areas downstream such as Topeka, Lawrence, and other areas along the Kansas River.

zetronist

Thu May 18, 2006 3:03 am

SirenMadness wrote:The signal does mean that a community-wide gas threat has been noticed, and it warns you to go to the nearest gas-proof shelter. For people out of one's range, their best thing to do is go up because gases tend to build up at lower levels.
Ah... thanks. Makes sense.

John

kswx29

Thu May 18, 2006 10:45 am

I figured it all up today, with the 70miles there and back and with gas prices the way they are it would cost about $39.78, but i still think it is worth it.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Fri May 19, 2006 7:17 am

Sooooo worth it. I would pay up to $60 or so to hear this monster.

"After construction on the dam is complete, the Warning System will no longer be needed and the sirens will be removed." I wonder if they will sell it ;)

EDIT: Was cycling though the sounds (see first post in topic) and I think that the All Clear, Indoor Protection, and Best Possible Protection are some weird sounding siren sounds...
- Tony L.

kswx29

Fri May 19, 2006 5:45 pm

After construction on the dam is complete, the Warning System will no longer be needed and the sirens will be removed."
I E-Mailed the guy in-charge of the sirens and he said construction to stableize the dam isnt expected until beyond 2010 so it will be a while...

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Sat May 20, 2006 1:22 am

Aw... well by then I might have enough money (and might be old enough... yes I'll be 18!) to buy one! Wouldn't that be awesome? Of course, I would never be able to use it ;( but at the new boarding school that I am going to go to I may be able to convince the school to install it and use it to signal meal times and such... hey, it's just a suggestion...

Of course, I can only dream of having my own air raid siren. Of course, I would rather have a T-bolt 1003 (who wouldn't?) but that model is pretty good too.
- Tony L.

kswx29

Sat May 20, 2006 2:52 am

If they do sell they would be like real expensive, you must be rich! Anyways i wouldnt buy a whelen or any other eletronic even if it was just 10$ simply becasue its not like you can set it off.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Sat May 20, 2006 6:53 pm

That's true...
How much does the 10-module siren cost? Maybe I can get the school I'm going to next year interested...
And can you control the volume? This next school's campus is huge, but I don't think it will be needed to be really loud.

Of course, it's an electronic siren, so I expect them to put in a volume controller anyways ;)
- Tony L.

kswx29

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:14 pm

:( Due to weather conserns today (we are suposed to have some bad storms today) the sirens in manhattan including the Dam Warning System was not tested. How ever i am going to try and record the sirens here in topeka (from my house. There is a mix of 2001s, model 5, and a tbolt) but the shawnee county EM Director emailed me and said they might not test to but i am going to call in about a half hour to see if they are.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”