EOWS 612

Clayton Whirlwind

Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:05 am

What's a Clayton Whirlwind? What does it look like? What's the decibal output?

Brendan Ahern

Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:56 am

Thats a new one. Are you sure you arent talking about Clayton Werden? He is a siren dealer in Ohio, and from what I've heard, he now has the patent to the P-15 and still makes them. I havent talked to him in almost 3 years. Anyone else hear from him lately? Jason?

EOWS 612

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08 am

No, I'm not talking about him. Adam Pollak keeps talking about this siren.
He says he owns one.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 am

I don't know much about these sirens except that I have only seem them in Florida and that they were essentially a backyard project by a man in Daytona.

This is the one I have, extremely corroded from the Florida air and a huge fall from Hurricane Charley.

This is a photo from the National Archives of the sirens being made in Daytona.

Here is one of the sirens when it was still up, it has seen been scrapped (very much against my will)

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Have anymore pictures of these?

500 AT fan

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:Thats a new one. Are you sure you arent talking about Clayton Werden? He is a siren dealer in Ohio, and from what I've heard, he now has the patent to the P-15 and still makes them. I havent talked to him in almost 3 years. Anyone else hear from him lately? Jason?

Clayton Werden? I think he's the one who builds P-15/10s on demand. Would be interesting to see a new siren from him. :)

jkvernon

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:49 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:
Thats a new one. Are you sure you arent talking about Clayton Werden? He is a siren dealer in Ohio, and from what I've heard, he now has the patent to the P-15 and still makes them. I havent talked to him in almost 3 years. Anyone else hear from him lately? Jason?

Clayton Werden? I think he's the one who builds P-15/10s on demand. Would be interesting to see a new siren from him. Smile
He still makes the P-15 which he has renamed the P-127. He's actually planning on running a demo for my county along with a T-128 sometime in the near future. [/quote]

Willie
New User
YouTube Username: N/a

Re: Clayton Whirlwind

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 am

The attachment 20180802_184209_HDR.jpg is no longer available
That is what one looks like . I'm answering a decade pld question .. It still works but somebody down the line scraped it up with a wheel or something .I haven't seen very many claytons and the ones I did see didn't look like this and compared to what os around they were going for top dollar .
Attachments
20180802_184209_HDR.jpg
20180802_184209_HDR.jpg (255.17 KiB) Viewed 5772 times

bobcat418
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Flying Train Productions

Re: Clayton Whirlwind

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:52 am

Here is a Clayton Whirlwind in Cadwell GA, these sirens are pretty rare and this one happens to still be up. They were cast in Deland, FL and to my understanding it was after a member of the fire department became interested in casting. He then set up a small foundry with a few men on the edge of town and cast these sirens in addition to some other parts for WW2. They made their own tools and usually used scrap metal to cast the sirens. You can read up on them some more right here and see the casting process. These sirens are pretty interesting and the story behind them is too! Here is the photo that I took of the siren:
Attachments
whirlwind.jpg
whirlwind.jpg (702.47 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Check out my youtube channel Flying Train Productions
Proud owner of a '63 Thunderbolt 1000BT, '69 Model B-9 and a late 70's Model A
Certified Skywarn spotter since March 4th, 2017

Atiblaster
YouTube Username: East Coast Alerting

Re:

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Adam Pollak wrote:
Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 am
I don't know much about these sirens except that I have only seem them in Florida and that they were essentially a backyard project by a man in Daytona.

This is the one I have, extremely corroded from the Florida air and a huge fall from Hurricane Charley.

This is a photo from the National Archives of the sirens being made in Daytona.

Here is one of the sirens when it was still up, it has seen been scrapped (very much against my will)

Do you still have this siren? If so, are you willing to sell it? I can restore it.
Owner of a few small sirens and some other siren odds and ends

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”