Literally 1/3 of the stator is missing.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: Clayton Whirlwind

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 am

It may be a challenge, but I'd bet there's a way to reverse-engineer a stator to be re-casted...granted if 1. the chopper isn't cracked, or 2. if he even still has the siren.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

LukeH

Re: Clayton Whirlwind

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 am

Restoring this siren would require casting and machining a new rotor. The stator could be easily machined from a block of aluminum. I'm willing to bet the motor would need to be soaked in atf/acetone for several months and placed in an electrolysis vat before you could even think of getting it apart. I'm almost certain itlf there is even any thing left of the armature it would need to be turned, rewound, brushes replaced and bearings sourced. Point blank this siren would require more work than it's even worth. Take it from someone who has grown up rescuing cars and tractors from sitting 50 years in barns and fence rows. I'm a firm believer in the saying "if it has a frame it can be restored". That siren is a lost cause to anyone without direct access cnc/casting/electric motor equipment.

This isn't something you spray a little pb blaster in and slap a coat of paint on. This is something that would need to literally be rebuilt piece by piece from the ground up. At most you may be able to re use a few bolts or a shaft.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”