Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Re: Post your Mystery Sirens here.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 am

Brendan W wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 am
Hate to be a killjoy, but I am pretty sure that is a vent.
Yeah I thought it probably was at first but it appears to have the Federal logo on top. I suppose it could be something like an old exhaust fan or similar though. A drone could help in a sure identification.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:41 am

This siren at the VFD in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. I heard it from a nearby location and it sounded exactly like a Whelen WPS in Wail Tone. https://goo.gl/maps/49NcfEJZmagZ64wc9

Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 pm

archizackture wrote:
This siren at the VFD in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. I heard it from a nearby location and it sounded exactly like a Whelen WPS in Wail Tone. https://goo.gl/maps/49NcfEJZmagZ64wc9

Someone probably took the drivers, made horns and a custom box for it when the original siren head got damaged.
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:15 pm

They 're just generic Chinese horns. From what I understand, you get get them from various different sources.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

archizackture

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Synther wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:15 pm

They 're just generic Chinese horns. From what I understand, you get get them from various different sources.
Interesting. I'm looking at that pipe and wondering if that's a diaphone kind of mechanism? The one at USRFD has a pipe like that but it seems to be an electrical conduit with a visible breaker box on the side. And what I heard was EXACTLY like a Whelen in wail tone (continuously cycling up and down without pausing).
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.

uncommonsense

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Jake_7367 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 pm
archizackture wrote:

Someone probably took the drivers, made horns and a custom box for it when the original siren head got damaged.
In the future please don't baselessly speculate like that.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:20 pm

archizackture wrote:
Interesting. I'm looking at that pipe and wondering if that's a diaphone kind of mechanism? The one at USRFD has a pipe like that but it seems to be an electrical conduit with a visible breaker box on the side. And what I heard was EXACTLY like a Whelen in wail tone (continuously cycling up and down without pausing).
I'm 99% sure that thing wasn't playing a Whelen wail tone. It's a diaphragm horn. As for the disconnect you saw, perhaps it's some sort of shutoff for an electric valve in the box the horns are mounted on?
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

archizackture

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Synther wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:20 pm
archizackture wrote:
I'm 99% sure that thing wasn't playing a Whelen wail tone. It's a diaphragm horn. As for the disconnect you saw, perhaps it's some sort of shutoff for an electric valve in the box the horns are mounted on?
Well in that case, I need to figure out where the wail tone was coming from! The only other siren I know of within a 3-mile radius is an STH-10 (Tallman fire dept.) that, of course, doesn't sound like an electronic wail tone.

I did more searching and found that some ATI sirens make the same wail tone, such as in this video: https://youtu.be/kvQAaRWCsw0?t=32
It was that EXACT sound, it went up to the same pitch and fell again without pausing at the high point, repeat over and over. Of course, it could have also been a Modulator doing that tone as well, and it was hard to tell due to the distance. The nearest Modulator is 7 miles away though.
We're actually near the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant siren system, which uses ATIs. However, the nearest one is several miles away and it wasn't testing day (they test Wednesdays and it was Friday around 6:30). Intriguing... I'll keep searching around.

Jackson95

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:22 pm

I don't know if anyone has brought this one up before but I was wondering what is this thing? Its on the edge of grapevine lake in Texas has seen in the link provided and Im pretty sure its a siren by the looks of it. I just cant tell what it is, I think it looks more like a very early generation Fedelcode or something like that. https://www.google.com/maps/place/3830- ... 97.0559966
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

archizackture

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:17 am

Jackson95 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:22 pm
I don't know if anyone has brought this one up before but I was wondering what is this thing? Its on the edge of grapevine lake in Texas has seen in the link provided and Im pretty sure its a siren by the looks of it. I just cant tell what it is, I think it looks more like a very early generation Fedelcode or something like that. https://www.google.com/maps/place/3830- ... 97.0559966
Here's a more accurate link for anyone having trouble finding it: https://goo.gl/maps/avWF7jfsTJzbKjvBA
I have nothing else to contribute, I have no idea what that is except that I am very sure it's a siren.

Return to “Mystery Sirens”