nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sirens of Clare County, Michigan

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 pm

At one point in history (Around the 1960s I believe), Clare County had Sterling Sirens, with two locations being known right now (Harrison Fire, M-10, Harrison Airport, 2V8). These would serve the county well until 2004, when bids were taken for a new emergency siren system. Whelen won the bid, and Whelen Sirens were put up around the county. The locations of the 2004 installs are:
Harrison Water Tower, Temple Cemetery, Freeman Township Hall, Lake George Boat Ramp, Clare County Transfer Site, Clare County Dump (later to be moved to downtown clare) Clare Skate Park, New Beginnings Church, Wilson Road, and Haskell Road.
However, around 2008, two more Whelens went in: A 4004 and presumably a Vortex, respectively located at Brookwood Park ( I have a video of it in Air Horn) and Greenwood township park. These sirens have the newer 560Hz tone as opposed to the 435Hz tone all the other Whelens have.
Sometime when American Signal was producing the OM-117, two were installed, at Lake George's Fire Department, and the Harrison Airport (Harrison Airport does not work, and has not functioned since installation I believe). A Federal Signal model 2 also resides at a fire department, and is presumed to be inactive.

Like neighbouring Isabella County, sirens are tested at 3PM on the 1st Thursday of the month. Protocol is 3 Minute Alert for a warning, 3 Minute FAST WAIL!!!!! for a chemical spill, and 3 Minute Air Horn for All-Clear, Currently, 4 County sirens are reported to not be working: Freeman Township (Vortex), Clare Skate Park (435 4004), Lincoln Township (FS Model 2), and Harrison Airport (ASC OM-117/Sterling 2V8). The Mechanical sirens do not function for the All Clear tone, due to lack of an Air Horn tone.

Map of the county sirens (LKreykes): https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 99998&z=16
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”