carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:12 pm

I’ve been watching all about the Ohio River flooding on the local news this afternoon. Channel 9 showed drone shots of Coney Island and the area around it. The intersection of Kellogg & Sutton is pretty bad, and the 2001 there has water surrounding the bottom of the pole. Can sirens potentially get electrical damage from flooding?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 am

carexpertandy wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:12 pm
I’ve been watching all about the Ohio River flooding on the local news this afternoon. Channel 9 showed drone shots of Coney Island and the area around it. The intersection of Kellogg & Sutton is pretty bad, and the 2001 there has water surrounding the bottom of the pole. Can sirens potentially get electrical damage from flooding?
If it reaches the siren yes, my main concern would be the controller since it is lower on the pole.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

maxshaw

Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:00 am

Lol if water reaches the siren head then I think we'd have bigger problems to worry about than damage to the siren...

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:02 pm

I drove by the Federal Signal 508 on University Bvld in Hamilton, OH and noticed that there was a cherry picker next to the siren. They had the control box open and were fixing something. It seems to me that this siren failed the past two tests as I have not seen it change positions since January. I almost wonder if something was wrong with the radio?
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

maxshaw

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:11 am

Saw today that, according to the Clermont EMA, their sirens sounded 3 different times due to a transmitter malfunction... Wonder what would cause that. They have a two-tone activation and an ASC FSK activation, right? I don't actually know how exactly their system works...

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:18 pm

They have a Compulert encoder and a tone encoder. That being said, I'm not entirely sure how a transmitter would cause the sirens to be activated three times, unless it's severely delayed on sending transmissions out. It seems like they've been experiencing transmitter issues a lot recently. Perhaps it's time to look into replacing some radio apparatus?
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:14 pm

Older compulerts had issues with command stacking. Its a very real possibility that is what could of happened here. I know all of werdens stuff is what has been installed in clermont. However i remember it like yesterday when the stuff was installed quite a few years ago as a fyi. ~hannah
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

maxshaw

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:08 pm

I was watching a short film called Day of the Killer Tornadoes (which is about the 1974 tornado outbreak), but there's a short segment where they walk through the Sayler Park tornado. They have a sequence where they activate the sirens with a phone, but there's also an old map of the Hamilton County system... this film was made in 1978, so the map is from around then. Pretty cool!
Attachments
1978.png
1978.png (400.42 KiB) Viewed 4042 times

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 pm

It’s amazing how few sirens were in the county system back then. I would think that not long after this, there was probably a push for jurisdictions to install more sirens, and probably even add volunteer fire department sirens to the system.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 pm

Didn't see this posted here. Clermont did a special test yesterday to try and solve the issue from the first Wednesday test, they ended up doing 2 alerts again.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Community Systems”