The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 pm 

freebrickproductions wrote: *
not. Research Park is on my wish list and I have gotten preliminary approval on a site and requirements there. I have just not been given the go ahead. (It should be mentioned that there are several sites in the city and county identified as funds become available.) It will likely be a 20v or comparable though. It is covered on the south end by the Gateway siren, to the east by Sherwood Park, to the west by Slaughter Rd. and to the north by the siren at Longhorn steakhouse. That leaves weaker coverage in the middle.
We have been performing preventative maintenance on a lot of sites that were installed in the 90s and 2000s.
Now I'm mildly wondering where the two sirens would go...
Just taking a stab in the dark, the 40v could be near Triana while the 14v could be near the intersection of Winchester Road and Moore's Mill Road? Those are the only two areas in the county that are pretty well populated that I can think of that don't have any siren coverage. Most other populated places in the county are pretty well covered.
[/quote]

No, and no... one is replacing a siren that was taken down a couple of years ago (14V) and the other is covering a large outdoor walking venue with lots of trees and also homes that are in a weak area of coverage. The 14V will have custom order colors instead of the regular almond. Your other two locations are on my wish list as well. You may be applying for my job when I retire one day!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:58 pm 

YouTube Username: freebrickproductions
emofficer wrote: *
No, it will not. Research Park is on my wish list and I have gotten preliminary approval on a site and requirements there. I have just not been given the go ahead. (It should be mentioned that there are several sites in the city and county identified as funds become available.) It will likely be a 20v or comparable though. It is covered on the south end by the Gateway siren, to the east by Sherwood Park, to the west by Slaughter Rd. and to the north by the siren at Longhorn steakhouse. That leaves weaker coverage in the middle.
We have been performing preventative maintenance on a lot of sites that were installed in the 90s and 2000s.
Now I'm mildly wondering where the two sirens would go...
Just taking a stab in the dark, the 40v could be near Triana while the 14v could be near the intersection of Winchester Road and Moore's Mill Road? Those are the only two areas in the county that are pretty well populated that I can think of that don't have any siren coverage. Most other populated places in the county are pretty well covered.
No, and no... one is replacing a siren that was taken down a couple of years ago (14V) and the other is covering a large outdoor walking venue with lots of trees and also homes that are in a weak area of coverage. The 14V will have custom order colors instead of the regular almond. Your other two locations are on my wish list as well. You may be applying for my job when I retire one day!
Huh. The only two sirens that were taken down within the past few years that weren't immediately replaced I can think of were the Thunderbeam on Meadowbrook Drive (which was replaced with a Model 2t) and the Model 2 at Cavalry Hill School, which had already been replaced with a nearby 2001-AC back in the 1990s, so possibly the 14v will be replacing the siren on Meadowbrook Drive?

And for the 40v2t (I'm assuming it'll be a dual-toned one), I can't really think of anywhere that's "a large outdoor walking venue with lots of trees and homes" that already isn't covered by a siren. The only two possible places I can think of that sorta-resemble the description are Burritt on the Mountain and Harmony Park Safari, though neither really fit the description. There's also the Huntsville Speedway, but that's not really a "walking venue".
The final place where the 40v2t could possibly go would be up in The Ledges, which is a private neighborhood with a large golf-course around it (a "large walking venue") and plenty of trees, and absolutely no siren coverage, but that's a private neighborhood full of rich people (and somehow I doubt any of them would want a 40v2t right in their backyards). :?:

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 am 

YouTube Username: DJ2226
Thank you emofficer for the info. Whenever you all decide on the 14V and 40V can you keep us up to date? There aren't any of those in Georgia or Alabama to my knowledge. Huntsville is a long drive from Columbus, GA, but I might make that trip to hear them in person for the initial test. The 40V is on another level compared to what we have down here. Will the 40V be a single tone 40V1T or a dual tone 40V2T? I can't remember if the other Sentry's in the county are single or dual tone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 am 

Huh. The only two sirens that were taken down within the past few years that weren't immediately replaced I can think of were the Thunderbeam on Meadowbrook Drive (which was replaced with a Model 2t) and the Model 2 at Cavalry Hill School, which had already been replaced with a nearby 2001-AC back in the 1990s, so possibly the 14v will be replacing the siren on Meadowbrook Drive?

And for the 40v2t (I'm assuming it'll be a dual-toned one), I can't really think of anywhere that's "a large outdoor walking venue with lots of trees and homes" that already isn't covered by a siren. The only two possible places I can think of that sorta-resemble the description are Burritt on the Mountain and Harmony Park Safari, though neither really fit the description. There's also the Huntsville Speedway, but that's not really a "walking venue".
The final place where the 40v2t could possibly go would be up in The Ledges, which is a private neighborhood with a large golf-course around it (a "large walking venue") and plenty of trees, and absolutely no siren coverage, but that's a private neighborhood full of rich people (and somehow I doubt any of them would want a 40v2t right in their backyards). :?:
Well, technically part of the coverage of the 40V area is covered by a 2001, but the trees dampen the sound. Both of these sites are on city or state owned property. The 14V also falls on the edge of 2 sirens, but we actually went to the site and set both sirens off for 30 seconds and the sound was not impressive due terrain for one and ground cover for the other. They decided to go with a siren on site again. No, not Calvary Hills, but you are on the right track ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 am 

DJ2226 wrote: *
Thank you emofficer for the info. Whenever you all decide on the 14V and 40V can you keep us up to date? There aren't any of those in Georgia or Alabama to my knowledge. Huntsville is a long drive from Columbus, GA, but I might make that trip to hear them in person for the initial test. The 40V is on another level compared to what we have down here. Will the 40V be a single tone 40V1T or a dual tone 40V2T? I can't remember if the other Sentry's in the county are single or dual tone.
Im thinking of ordering 40V1T after talking to Sirens for Cities. We want maximum range through the trees. Nearby sirens are on 40ft towers and the trees around them are taller making these important sites in areas of weak to no coverage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:09 am 

YouTube Username: Sean juth
DJ2226 wrote: *
Im thinking of ordering 40V1T after talking to Sirens for Cities. We want maximum range through the trees. Nearby sirens are on 40ft towers and the trees around them are taller making these important sites in areas of weak to no coverage.
I'm glad I looked at this post. I live in the New market area and drive by the winchester Moore's mill area all the time. A 40v1t? Really? Thats interesting but it May be too loud for the area. Maybe you could put one of sentry vr sirens their?

I want the model d from Paint Rock Alabama
Huntsville Alabama Native

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 am 

YouTube Username: Sean juth
A sentry 14v wouldnt do a good job for the Moore's mill area.

I want the model d from Paint Rock Alabama
Huntsville Alabama Native

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 pm 

YouTube Username: Jacobmaster121
my city uses 2 SRNBs, one 2001-130, and one thunderbolt 1000A in the process of being replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:11 am 

YouTube Username: Gaminguytoop 279
My city uses Whelen WPS 4004's, 3016's, and 2020's. Also has a couple of 1000T's that aren't in use.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 am 

YouTube Username: Marco Pulone
Discord: Model L
we have a single random modulator. then on the coast we have quite a few.

Experience the competition of the 21st century!