kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:55 pm

I passed by the Monrovia Fire Dept building yesterday, and the T-Bolt is indeed there on the fire hose drying rack. The station is just east of Myrtle Ave, and the siren is closer to the Orange St. side of the building (building address, I believe, is on Lemon). Please excuse the photos; phone camera :oops: . I wasn't planning to do that yesterday, or I'd have had a good camera along. I couldn't see the blower, so I'm guessing it's inside the hose tower. The tower is far inside a fenced area, unfortunately.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Here's some irony in my hobbies... As I've mentioned before, one of my other long-time hobbies is collecting and restoring old TV sets. So, I happened to have time to kill Thursday in Los Angeles waiting for the traffic to lighten up before coming home. I went to check the status of an old TV factory, which I had checked on many times in the last 20 years. The Kaye-Halbert TV company was at 3555 Hayden Ave in Culver City, CA. As I made a U-turn to pass back by the building, I looked up, and there standing tall and proud, on a rusty steel pole, is another Culver City Mobil Directo! I can't believe I never noticed that one, although it's been discovered and posted about before in this thread. Here are a couple of new photos taken yesterday... I'm not very familiar with these, and I'm guessing this is a Mobil Directo (not an Allertor), since it has the long horn. I've read conflicting statements about that, but haven't actually looked it up. Please let me stand corrected if needed.

This siren is on Warner, just south of Hayden Ave. Note that it looks like a wooden telephone pole, but it's in fact steel. It seems to have power & phone still hooked up, but the power could also be for the apparent added-on light fixture, I guess.

Charles

johnpmid
New User

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Hello, I am new to the board. I grew up in Long Beach, CA and I remember the siren testing every month. I used to see the sirens around the city, but I never knew what they were. There was one behind my junior high that I remember I asked someone what it was and the reply I got is that it is the sensor for the street lights to turn on and off :lol:

Here are two more to add to the list for Long Beach. The first picture is near the corner of Ocana Ave and Kildee St behind Marshall Middle School. The second picture is near the corner of Clark Ave and Conant St right outside of Veteran's Stadium:

Image[/img]

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 pm

The second one is a Federal Signal SD-10. I'm not sure about the first one.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Kyle

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 pm

carexpertandy wrote:The second one is a Federal Signal SD-10. I'm not sure about the first one.
The first one kinda looks like a Whelen.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Kyle wrote:The first one kinda looks like a Whelen.
No, that's definetly not a Whelen. I've looked at it from different views on Street View, and it's definetly not a Whelen. I'm guessing it's a Model X or an HOR. If you look at the controls, you can tell they're definetly for a mechanical siren. If nobody else can identify what it is by looking at it virtually, somebody may need to go to it and see what it actually is.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 am

I don't think this one is posted on here but I saw an SD-10 at Detroit St. and Melroes Ave. in (I think) West Hollywood when I was there with the family the week after New Years. It is just down the street from Pink's Hot Dogs.

http://tinyurl.com/yj36pvp

L.A. sirens r us

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 am

That would be an L.A. City one - Number 30.

http://wirechief.com/sirens/30.htm

Dennis

P.S. I LOVE Pink's!

cwilliams

Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Add to the list a siren in Stevenson Ranch, CA. It's located just to the southwest and above the corner of Twain Pl & Kavenagh Ln., next to the water tower, and on the northeast corner of the park. I'll grab a picture the next free day I have.

This was installed primarily to warn of an inmate escape from the Pitchess jail in nearby Castaic. The last time is was used for this purpose was April 28, 2010.
Last edited by cwilliams on Sat May 22, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Thu May 20, 2010 5:20 pm

cwilliams wrote:Add to the list an ASC RM-130 in Stevenson Ranch, CA. It's located just to the southwest and above the corner of Twain Pl & Kavenagh Ln., next to the water tower, and on the northeast corner of the park. I'll grab a picture the next free day I have.

This was installed primarily to warn of an inmate escape from the Pitchess jail in nearby Castaic. The last time is was used for this purpose was April 28, 2010.
I never have been able find out what their testing schedule is, if they have one. I had no idea there was one as far south as Stevenson Ranch (nor any south of Hwy 126)... I'm in that area often, so I'll watch for others. There's what I think is a 2001 on the north side of 126, just east west of Old Telegraph Rd in Piru; about 7 miles west of I-5. But I believe that one is part of the Piru Dam failure warning system; not the county jail system.

Charles

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”