cwilliams

Fri May 21, 2010 6:02 am

Charles -

There is no testing schedule as far as I know. I've been in this area for a little over 3 years and it appears the siren has been here since at least 2004. The first time I was aware of it (and what attracted me to these boards) was when it was used in April.

Here's an article talking about the sirens from 2004:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/JAIL+LOOK ... 0113476047

I'll have to take one of my off days and go locate and log locations of the sirens in Castaic. I'm a full time photographer, so you can bet there will be some very nice photos.

Also - I believe the siren here is also/is referred to as an ASC PN-20. Not sure which name is correct.

500 AT fan

Fri May 21, 2010 6:24 am

Yes, the correct name in PN20. They were made from about 1992 until the Tempest line came out.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Fri May 21, 2010 4:28 pm

cwilliams wrote:Charles -

There is no testing schedule as far as I know. I've been in this area for a little over 3 years and it appears the siren has been here since at least 2004. The first time I was aware of it (and what attracted me to these boards) was when it was used in April.

Here's an article talking about the sirens from 2004:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/JAIL+LOOK ... 0113476047

I'll have to take one of my off days and go locate and log locations of the sirens in Castaic. I'm a full time photographer, so you can bet there will be some very nice photos.

Also - I believe the siren here is also/is referred to as an ASC PN-20. Not sure which name is correct.
I lived in the Stevenson Ranch area (in the mobile home park up in the Newhall Pass south of Calgrove near the rifle range) for 2 years, and just as you said, never knew about those sirens since I never heard them. I was probably in hearing range of that one you posted about. and I bet there are others; maybe on the east side of I-5, since there's one as far south as the one you found. I have to assume it's a County system, since the Castaic jails are part of the LA County Jail system. I was in unincorporated LA County (used the 91381 post office though). If the system is owned by the City of Santa Clarita, that would explain why there would only be one on the west side of I-5 and not on the east any farther south, as that's the town of Newhall (uninc. LA Co).

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

cwilliams

Sat May 22, 2010 4:03 am

Photos! If this is not a PN20, please feel free to correct me. I'm just as interested in it as you all are.

I have several angles so anyone up here can figure out where it is at. Sorry I could not get a shot of the front. I'll pick a weekend day and sneak around to the other side of the water tank.

Image[/img]

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 am

That's an ACA Penetrator. Can't tell if its dual tone or not though, need to see the front to do that. Otherwise, great photos.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 am

That's not a PN20, that's either a P-10 or P-15.

This right here is a video of a PN20(what we also call the RM-130):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adCuLs-4nmI
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

cwilliams

Sat May 22, 2010 5:13 am

Thanks for all the information! You guys have a vast knowledge of sirens and I knew you'd be able to identify it.

I'm pretty sure it's a single tone based on the two times I've heard it, and comparing to the dual toned models I was able to listen to on YouTube.

If anyone has any suspected locations of the sirens around Castaic, I'll go take a look and snap some photos. I read somewhere that they are using 2001's.

Hacksaw

Sat May 22, 2010 7:18 pm

There's one near I5 close to the base of the Castaic Dam.

cwilliams

Wed May 26, 2010 3:38 am

While riding passenger along the 5 freeway today, I was able to spot three sirens on the east side in Castaic spaced about a mile +/- apart. They could be pulling double duty for the jail and the dam warning system. I'll photograph and log their exact locations when I get another free day. From a distance they also appeared to be Penetrators.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Sad news to report: The 500T at the corner of Deering Ave and Sherman Way in Canoga Park, is gone. It was in the parking lot of an abandoned lumber yard, which is soon to be a transit bus terminal. I had been watching nervously as the demolition was starting, and kind of knew the days were numbered. I poked around there yesterday to see if the siren might be lying around, but couldn't find it. All I see is four studs sticking up from a concrete footing, and 3 clipped, dangling power lines on a nearby power pole :cry: .

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”