kswx29

Des Monies Tornado Sirens..Gaps everywhere!

Fri May 19, 2006 9:51 pm

I found this map on the internet and wow there are a lot of gaps, a few years ago i was about to move to Des Monies...thank god i didnt!
Image[/url]

2001srnfan

Fri May 19, 2006 10:12 pm

Some of those areas might just be unpopulated regions of the city limits.

kswx29

Sat May 20, 2006 12:03 am

Some, but not all. Areas such as areas west and north of Downtown, Urbandale, and West Des Monies seem to be well urbanized..

va_nuke_pe

"Holes" may not really be there

Sat May 20, 2006 3:35 am

Are the sirens directional or omni-directional? The circles method gives the estimated coverage for a single siren. It even works OK for a system of directional sirens when you take the union of the area coverage. However, the circles method is lousy for a system that uses a lot of omni-directional sirens because sound is logarithmically additive. How much louder? If you stood midway between two omni's that were equally rated, then the sound level when they were both sounding would be 3 dB higher than if only 1 were sounding. If you were in the middle of four of them operating, it would sound 6 dB louder than if any one of them were activated. 3 dB doesn't sound like much - but it corresponds to be 50% louder. 6 dB is 78% louder.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”