OHIO Desperado

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:17 am

Well the second to the last Franklin County Bolt was scrapped.
The last siren is installed on a building somewhere in the county and is destine to be removed at some point, probably next year.

The condition of the scrapped bolt was bad. It was CUT down and was cut apart to take it down. The rotor gear was broken during the fall and the top plate / frame for the rotor was significantly bent. That one was done.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 am

kb8vul wrote:
The last siren is installed on a building somewhere in the county and is destine to be removed at some point, probably next year.

The condition of the scrapped bolt was bad. It was CUT down and was cut apart to take it down. The rotor gear was broken during the fall and the top plate / frame for the rotor was significantly bent. That one was done.
So how do you know about how they removed it and what it looked like after the removal? Were you there or did you locate the siren afterwards? You’re talking about the one that was near the OSU campus, correct?
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

OHIO Desperado

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:38 am

Sifed1 wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

So how do you know about how they removed it and what it looked like after the removal? Were you there or did you locate the siren afterwards? You’re talking about the one that was near the OSU campus, correct?
First,, yes this was the one near campus.
The reason I know what it looked like was I saw it where it was being stored by the folks that had it taken down.
I was able to closely inspect it and attempted to acquire the unit to repair and restore it.

As far as who had it and where it was, I am not at liberty to say anything about that for business reasons.

That being said, there are only so many scrap yards in Columbus, and it's sitting in one of them.
It might be worth calling around and seeing if it can be located. It's not like a Thunderbolt is similar to anything else.
But be warned,,, it's VERY damaged and most likely NOT able to be restored unless you have a machine shop at your disposal to repair and make new parts for it.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:27 am

kb8vul wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:38 am
Sifed1 wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

First,, yes this was the one near campus.
The reason I know what it looked like was I saw it where it was being stored by the folks that had it taken down.
I was able to closely inspect it and attempted to acquire the unit to repair and restore it.

As far as who had it and where it was, I am not at liberty to say anything about that for business reasons.

That being said, there are only so many scrap yards in Columbus, and it's sitting in one of them.
It might be worth calling around and seeing if it can be located. It's not like a Thunderbolt is similar to anything else.
But be warned,,, it's VERY damaged and most likely NOT able to be restored unless you have a machine shop at your disposal to repair and make new parts for it.
Alright, well thanks for the information!
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm

kb8vul wrote:

There's an old Federal 7 that is on top of the Franklin Twp Fire Station, it is listed in the old system site list as:
"Siren #50 - 2193 Frank Rd., Franklin Twp. Firehouse - Roof"

Unless you're referencing the T-Bolt on top of the Ohio State School for the Blind, I didn't know that still existed until about two months ago. That one is a real old grid-face model, believe the newspaper said it was purchased in 1952 or 1953. It's been sitting inactive for a very, very long time.

It appears to have been installed sometime in the early 1960's, as it's not listed in my articles from the 50's. Not sure if that's the one you're referencing, it's the only one from the old system still standing that I'm aware of. I still need to file FOIA for any old documents EMA has, I only have the 1991 EOP that's posted on the Columbus Library web site.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

OHIO Desperado

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:25 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm
kb8vul wrote:

There's an old Federal 7 that is on top of the Franklin Twp Fire Station, it is listed in the old system site list as:
"Siren #50 - 2193 Frank Rd., Franklin Twp. Firehouse - Roof"

Unless you're referencing the T-Bolt on top of the Ohio State School for the Blind, I didn't know that still existed until about two months ago. That one is a real old grid-face model, believe the newspaper said it was purchased in 1952 or 1953. It's been sitting inactive for a very, very long time.

It appears to have been installed sometime in the early 1960's, as it's not listed in my articles from the 50's. Not sure if that's the one you're referencing, it's the only one from the old system still standing that I'm aware of. I still need to file FOIA for any old documents EMA has, I only have the 1991 EOP that's posted on the Columbus Library web site.
No this one was by an apartment off 10th.

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:10 pm

I know it's been a while guys, but this was something I noticed that I'm not sure if I mentioned before in this discussion or not, but has anyone noticed how the analog Whelen's in Franklin County rotate the opposite way on the second cycle so that they shutoff right at the North position? I've noticed it on Minerva Park's Digital ESC-864 as well, I was just wondering why they do it and if it's only Franklin County's analogs that do it or if every analog has the capability of doing it.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:38 am

So, apparently one of Dublin's sirens malfunctioned earlier today before the test. It seems like it was the 2750 at Llewellyn Farms Park near Tuttle Road and Frantz Road based on the description from the city police. I recorded that unit in July of 2020. I wonder what signal it went off in. Did anyone here on the board happen to hear it?

Here's the link to the article: https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local ... MxODX3xeBY

Fletch

Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:24 am

tkovack1 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:38 am
So, apparently one of Dublin's sirens malfunctioned earlier today before the test. It seems like it was the 2750 at Llewellyn Farms Park near Tuttle Road and Frantz Road based on the description from the city police. I recorded that unit in July of 2020. I wonder what signal it went off in. Did anyone here on the board happen to hear it?
A post on reddit said it sounded like a "two-tone" signal they hadn't heard before. I'm guessing hi-lo.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:49 pm

When those ESC-2030 logic boards have ribbon cable issues it often will activate the Hi-Low tone on and off until the issue is rectified, it sounds like the malfunctioning unit in Dublin had a faulty ribbon cable.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Community Systems”