carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:00 pm

Now Hamilton County has canceled today’s rescheduled growl test with all of the rain forecasted. I’m thinking to myself “Is that really necessary? I can’t imagine that a growl test would cause much confusion period. They could do this on the 1st Wednesday rather than reschedule for the following week.” Now they won’t be tested until July.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

nickrusche

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 am

I have a question regarding a Thunderbolt siren that used to be on a firehouse near the Loveland Bike Trail. The address is 100 East Loveland Avenue, Loveland, Ohio 45140. I remember my mom, brother, and I had just finished riding our bikes on the trail and while we loading the car, the siren started to sound. I think it was because there was a Thunderstorm Warning issued. This would have been in the mid-1990s. Was this in Warren County's System, or Clermont County's system? Judging by the zip code, I don't think it was in Hamilton County.

carexpertandy

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:21 pm

No, it was definitely in Hamilton County’s system. I’ve noticed some maps that included it. Ian Murr made a map on Google based on the 2002 survey when it was still standing, and marked it as removed. Loveland also has a 2001 on Oakland Road in Clermont County, but is in Hamilton County’s system.

One of Sharonville’s 2001s is in Butler County, but is in Hamilton County’s system. Milford’s sirens are all in Clermont County, but in Hamilton County’s system, even though only a small portion of Milford is in Hamilton County.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:16 am

There’s currently a tornado warning which includes southwest Hamilton County. Hear some very distant sirens, but not near Finneytown.

JPPow357
YouTube Username: koisignals

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 am

carexpertandy wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:16 am
There’s currently a tornado warning which includes southwest Hamilton County. Hear some very distant sirens, but not near Finneytown.
Just heard the sirens go off, i was just about to post about it.
While writing this: Going off for another cycle. One of the T128s sounds a tad bit underpowered
Pretty much nothing can beat listening to Danny Harmon's railfanning videos while hunting for railroad signals in the middle of nowhere Ohio.
- Johnathan “JP” D.

carexpertandy

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:44 am

That could be from the kinds of mechanical issues they have at some point, or maybe running on batteries, especially if low on power.

maxshaw

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:17 am

That was sort of a fail in Anderson Twp... we were not near the warning at all- the T-128 at 8-Mile and Clough went off for about 10 seconds, the T-128 at the Beechmont Fire Dept. went off for the full 3 minutes. I guess that was the first tornado warning with the new system... looks like there are some issues to fix. Still, nothing here went off for the 2nd cycle.

carexpertandy

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:40 am

Interesting that they went off in that part of town period. I wonder how the county drew a polygon(s) to activate them tonight.

Urbanexplorer
YouTube Username: 500 Internal Server Error

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:45 am

Heard plenty of sirens from the Alexandria area, plus NKU's Modulators went off with a voice announcement(!).
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Formerly known as "Conky 2000".

maxshaw

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:05 am

This is pure speculation, but I assumed that somehow they could import the KMZ files that are released when a warning is issued and overlay that onto the Compulert system. So they would use the actual polygon drawn by the NWS. Like I said though, that's just speculation. Seems like the issue was fixed for the 2nd cycle though.

Return to “Community Systems”