CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:39 pm

I did some digging and found some more information on the old Springdale Allertor that was replaced in 2009. The Springdale City Council approved a 14,000 bid for a new siren to be installed at Temple Baptist. This would mean that Allertor was installed in December of 1980 or 1981.

This Allertor was the one that got me into the siren hobby, as I had no clue of what that toilet looking thing was. Every time I saw that siren, it reminded me of a toilet for some reason.
Attachments
Springdale Allertor.PNG
Springdale Allertor.PNG (935.91 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Yesterday, Hamilton County apparently did a short maintenance test (likely growl test) of select sirens yesterday at noon. I was out of town yesterday as part of a long weekend, so driving to and from work today, I noticed some sirens in different positions, but one that hadn’t changed. Did others know about this?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 am

Someone commented on my YouTube video of the St. Bart’s Church T-128 that the T-128 at Springdale Rd & Hamilton Ave got taken out by a car over a month ago. Yep, gotta hate all of these ANS street side installs.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

CincyTboltman

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:06 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 am
Someone commented on my YouTube video of the St. Bart’s Church T-128 that the T-128 at Springdale Rd & Hamilton Ave got taken out by a car over a month ago. Yep, gotta hate all of these ANS street side installs.
This doesn't surprise me at all since ANS has done a whole lot of unsafe installs. Who would be that inept to put a siren with control boxes right over the street? You can't service it at all, and it looks horrible! Werden Electric would have done a far better job than ANS if they had the contract. This whole process with the new installations was a complete nightmare. I wonder if the EMA even cares....

carexpertandy

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 pm

I don’t think the old EMA staff members cared that much, but the current people probably care more and might like to clean up this portion of the mess someday. Several other sirens in Hamilton County have been hit by cars, leading to some major equipment being replaced, including the siren head.

maxshaw

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:19 am

It hasn't happened yet, but I can't imagine that a siren head falling onto a car is a pretty sight. That's what worries me most about the way these were installed...

CincyTboltman

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:07 pm

The Massie Township Thunderbolt 1003 at the Massie Township Fire Department should be operating now if anyone wants to get a video of it. I'm told it keeps tripping a fuse in the breaker occasionally, making it inoperable. I'm not sure why it's doing this, but I'm not shocked since it was installed improperly by Federal Field.

Here's some photos of the Massie Township 1000BT 4/5 port that was installed by Federal Field and repaired by Werden Electric. This was originally 5/6 port but became a 4/5 port after the original parts were found nonfunctional. I went out to this siren and was shocked by the size of the service switch. I can confirm that this one is running on 240V single phase after taking a look at the meter and switch.

https://flic.kr/ps/3XT7ni

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 pm

CincyTboltman wrote:
The Massie Township Thunderbolt 1003 at the Massie Township Fire Department should be operating now if anyone wants to get a video of it. I'm told it keeps tripping a fuse in the breaker occasionally, making it inoperable. I'm not sure why it's doing this, but I'm not shocked since it was installed improperly by Federal Field.

Here's some photos of the Massie Township 1000BT 4/5 port that was installed by Federal Field and repaired by Werden Electric. This was originally 5/6 port but became a 4/5 port after the original parts were found nonfunctional. I went out to this siren and was shocked by the size of the service switch. I can confirm that this one is running on 240V single phase after taking a look at the meter and switch.

I noticed the other day while driving by it that it changed direction the next day. It was not a test day so I wonder if they tested it after resetting the fuse. I wonder if the reversed blower has anything to do with tripping the fuses? I wish they would fix that.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

CincyTboltman

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 pm
CincyTboltman wrote:

I noticed the other day while driving by it that it changed direction the next day. It was not a test day so I wonder if they tested it after resetting the fuse. I wonder if the reversed blower has anything to do with tripping the fuses? I wish they would fix that.
It wouldn't surprise me if the blower was the culprit, since it was wired incorrectly from the beginning. I almost wonder if Federal Field did it to the 1003 on purpose to get Warren County to buy a new siren after the 1003 fails. They did a horrible job installing both the 1003 and 1000t, and they should have been held accountable.

carexpertandy

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Hamilton County cancelled today’s test, due to the rain, and are now scheduled to perform a growl test next Wednesday.

However, Warren County will still test today.

Return to “Community Systems”