carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:56 am

maxshaw wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 am
Are the Eclipse 8 and STH 10 the only sirens owned by CVG?
It used to be that they had 4 sirens, which were 2 STH-10s and 2 Thunderbeams. One Thunderbeam was on top of Terminal 2, which was supposedly demolished, correct? I’m not sure what happened to the siren. The other Thunderbeam was pole mounted out along the runways, and had a 2001-130/Equinox next to it when I saw it in spring 2018. I forget where the other STH-10 is, and am not sure if they installed any other new sirens. Northern Kentucky enthusiasts should know more about these.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

JPPow357
YouTube Username: koisignals

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:13 pm

The other STH-10 is along Loomis Road right here (39.0690878, -84.6651684)
Pretty much nothing can beat listening to Danny Harmon's railfanning videos while hunting for railroad signals in the middle of nowhere Ohio.
- Johnathan “JP” D.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Hello all! Thanks to Kurt (fire_freak_57) on giving me access to much better vintage aerial imagery from the ODOT Aerial Imagery Archive. With the help of this imagery, I have been able to make some sense of some of the original sirens that were installed in Wilmington in 1978 and after. There are a couple that are definite, and a few that are not. There were at least 3 2T22s (according to a newspaper article) in the original system (one confirmed in the image), 4 Thunderbeams (two confirmed in the images, those are now located in Blanchester and Clarksville), and maybe a Thunderbolt. Now I say maybe because the aerial images I've reviewed show an object/shadow that looks similar to a Thunderbolt, although I cannot confirm it 100%. It would've been really strange for there to only be one of those and and the rest being Thunderbeams and 2T22s, but it's possible. Here's a link to the images and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:13 pm

It's quite possible. Newark had one Thunderbolt along with some Thunderbeams, but I'm not exactly sure when they were installed.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:13 pm
It's quite possible. Newark had one Thunderbolt along with some Thunderbeams, but I'm not exactly sure when they were installed.
Newark's Thunderbolt is from the 1950s or 60s, the Thunderbeams were added around the mid-1980s.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
Hello all! Thanks to Kurt (fire_freak_57) on giving me access to much better vintage aerial imagery from the ODOT Aerial Imagery Archive. With the help of this imagery, I have been able to make some sense of some of the original sirens that were installed in Wilmington in 1978 and after. There are a couple that are definite, and a few that are not. There were at least 3 2T22s (according to a newspaper article) in the original system (one confirmed in the image), 4 Thunderbeams (two confirmed in the images, those are now located in Blanchester and Clarksville), and maybe a Thunderbolt. Now I say maybe because the aerial images I've reviewed show an object/shadow that looks similar to a Thunderbolt, although I cannot confirm it 100%. It would've been really strange for there to only be one of those and and the rest being Thunderbeams and 2T22s, but it's possible. Here's a link to the images and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Did the Southridge siren used to be on the roof? I noted there's still control boxes up there on the roof on some type of platform when I was at the Vortex there earlier this year.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:14 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm
Sifed1 wrote:
Did the Southridge siren used to be on the roof? I noted there's still control boxes up there on the roof on some type of platform when I was at the Vortex there earlier this year.
Yeah the 2T22 was originally on the roof. I don’t have the image on my phone, but I posted a picture of it a while back of the newspaper article with a 2T22 pictured on the roof. For some reason (maybe coverage reasons) they moved it onto a pole from the rooftop. It’s weird how those panels are still there all these years later and not the siren.
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:40 pm

I just checked out another couple of angles from 1996 around Denver Elementary School and it's (in my opinion) undeniably a Thunderbolt. If only there was an image of the back of the school from before 2004 that would show this object in the background. It just looks very much like a Thunderbolt and looks completely different than the other sirens Wilmington had at the time. I also compared it to a number of other aerial images of Thunderbolts taken around the same time and they look extremely similar. I've added a few new angles of these aerial images from 1996 for your viewing pleasure here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:28 pm

Oh my gosh guys! My jaw just dropped when I came across this. This image right here, without a doubt, confirms that Wilmington definitely had at least one Thunderbolt! I searched for the Clinton County GIS imagery at the suggestion of Kurt, and I saw this image from 2003, and my mind was just blown! Take a look... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wpp-K3 ... sp=sharing

I'm going to look at the rest of the sirens with this imagery now too. I'm just amazed and blown away, but at the same time sad because I never had the chance to see this siren in person as it was removed and replaced with a Whelen Vortex around 2003.

EDIT: I also just discovered ANOTHER Thunderbolt near Bill Marine Ford in the west side of Wilmington. So Wilmington had at least two confirmed Thunderbolts! This is really interesting news to me. Here's an image of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ayYiK ... sp=sharing
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm

In May, I stopped at Gersam Avenue in Hamilton and saw this. The blower box is low enough that you can touch it! :shock:
Attachments
Thunderbolt controls.png
FC and RCM1A
Thunderbolt controls.png (910.61 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Hamilton Thunderbolt gersam 2.png
Gersam Avenue Hamilton, OH
Hamilton Thunderbolt gersam 2.png (762.77 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

Return to “Community Systems”