HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Re: Indonesian/Australian mystery siren

Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:27 am

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted on this thread, though I have recently come across this photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190595816 ... ed-public/

This is one of the rotating sirens, which was located on the famous Queen Victoria building in Sydney's CBD. This one was probably part of the system that included the one pictured in the first post of this thread.

That's all I have to share at the moment, but It's quite nice to see.
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

NottaFoamer
YouTube Username: TheRadioPerson
Discord: TheRadioPerson#1918

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:57 pm

w o w
awesome find! guess this means that there were a few systems of these things, i wonder if there may be any just sitting around.
I own a model L now cause im cool and epic like that

NottaFoamer

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:38 pm

well everyone, I have a pretty big update
while i was looking at some documents from the Dutch air protection, I found one that mentions their motors were built by "E·M·F DORDT"
so this may help us, but as of now I am not really sure on what to do with this information.

(the page is on the site i link next)

disregard what ive said here, HX has proved me wrong
EDIT: I FOUND A WEBSITE
it has a few videos of their sirens, and the first video of the "Smit Slikkerveer" sounds almost identical to these "Gauk" things. as for looks, it has the same top cover type thing though on this one the skirts are wayy larger.

https://www.holechistorie.nl/heemaf/hee ... m-systemen
Last edited by NottaFoamer on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NottaFoamer

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:06 pm

TheRadioPerson wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:30 pm
small notice but I found out that these were also placed in the Netherlands but they all have most likely been replaced with the mods that they have now. also they were reactivated during the cold war and used for air attacks and calling in volunteer fire fighters

anyways here is an image of a rotational unit on some building presumably in the Netherlands
found where this one was located, Amsterdam, Netherlands on the De Bijenkorf building. as far as i know it is gone

Csabi11
YouTube Username: Pöcegödör Szarfaszú

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:07 pm

this looks similar to that french air raid siren.
You can find my siren maps, pictures at this website: https://szarfaszu-pocegodor.webnode.hu/
Owner of: EK I 6 Port 220V Air Raid Siren, 4 Port Small Car Alarm Siren 24V, Police Siren with different Tones 12V

HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 am

G'day everyone.

Lightningfun64 and I have made a somewhat of a major breakthrough on this. We found a news article from WW2, which states that these sirens were designed by Swedish engineer - Harold Ekman, and manufactured by Swedish Electric Co.

Sydney had the first order of them, supposedly their coverage was good, reaching up to 5-8 miles if the conditions were optimal.

Before these sirens could be ordered, it says that tests were conducted in many environments, including Sweden, and London, to map out coverage, and also how effective it is against city traffic. It says that "100 are already in the process of being made", so we know that many of these units existed.

Unfortunately, we could not find a model name, but the manufacturer is a massive break through. We'll keep looking for more information.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

Csabi11
YouTube Username: Pöcegödör Szarfaszú

Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:17 pm

is there any new info?
You can find my siren maps, pictures at this website: https://szarfaszu-pocegodor.webnode.hu/
Owner of: EK I 6 Port 220V Air Raid Siren, 4 Port Small Car Alarm Siren 24V, Police Siren with different Tones 12V

Return to “Mystery Sirens”