sheppardpat47
YouTube Username: sheppardpat47
Discord: Thomas Seminerio#2368

Anyone here with a truck air horn in their car?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Hello everyone

Since I was a kid I always loved horns and sirens, and I wanted to be a truck driver so I can pull on that rope and make the trumpets screams, but I'm a informatic technician so yeah, but I still want to have a air horn in my car ahah.
I guess air horns are considered a warning device so, I daily drive two nuggets with beep beep horns, one of them (a Fiat 127) got a truck air horn (the cheap one from aliexpress) and it's pretty effective on the highway

But I really want to go the extra mile and put a SPDT latching button or rocker switch so I can switch between my air horn and my standard horn for MOT and city driving, but I don't really know how to do it, I just know that I need to take the 12V signal from the original harness but heh

Does someone already done that with train horn or truck horn ? I know these a pretty popular in the US, not quite in Europe unfortunately
I'm Belgian
So... Never heard a siren before :(

kb4mdz

Re: Anyone here with a truck air horn in their car?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Just a bit of blue-skying and background.

Sounds similar to Police cars with (I think it's called ) 'Horn Ring Override';

Yes, 2 position toggle switch, in one the horn works normal. In the other, the wire coming from the horn ring in the steering wheel is routed instead to the mode switch of the siren. Whenever the mode switch is activated, the siren goes from whatever sound it's doing to the next in a sequence. Example: Wail siren, next mode might be air horn blast, then a yelp, then warble, etc. New electronic sirens have lots of choices for mode changes, I'm sure.

Find the wiring diagram for your vehicle, find the horn wire, yadda yadda, and the thing and the thing. To quote college professors, the rest of the problem is left as an exercise for the student to complete outside of class.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue May 11, 2021 11:23 pm

sheppardpat47 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:00 pm
Hello everyone

Since I was a kid I always loved horns and sirens, and I wanted to be a truck driver so I can pull on that rope and make the trumpets screams, but I'm a informatic technician so yeah, but I still want to have a air horn in my car ahah.
I guess air horns are considered a warning device so, I daily drive two nuggets with beep beep horns, one of them (a Fiat 127) got a truck air horn (the cheap one from aliexpress) and it's pretty effective on the highway

But I really want to go the extra mile and put a SPDT latching button or rocker switch so I can switch between my air horn and my standard horn for MOT and city driving, but I don't really know how to do it, I just know that I need to take the 12V signal from the original harness but heh

Does someone already done that with train horn or truck horn ? I know these a pretty popular in the US, not quite in Europe unfortunately
If it's small enough, just take the two wires from your existing horn and wire it into your new horn. Check fuse sizes and current ratings, if its high enough you may need another relay.

wallaat
YouTube Username: Trashboy275

Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:06 pm

my dad has HADLEY e-tone 21 inch fire truck horns on his Ford F-150 Because he is a firefighter
Andrew Wallace Cadet firefighter of Hatfield fire company
owner of Fedelcode model 3, Model 5, H.O.R. siro-drone 2 hp, 1990 e-one franklin mint and other franklin mints

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”