ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Recordings of SAME headers and footers needed for project

Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:34 pm

If this is the wrong forum for this, please feel free to move it. I'm working on a project, and I need audio recordings of SAME headers of various lengths, and footers. I'm either looking for something that doesn't have a copyright on it, permission to use someone else's recordings, or software that can generate something that sounds close to these codes. I can generate the duel tone EAS/EBS attention signal perfectly in Audacity, but I can't generate anything that sounds remotely like the SAME codes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

bwillcox

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:11 pm

The SAME headers are AFSK data, so the only thing that'll generate that is a SAME or EAS endec. Its not something you'll be able to do in Audacity.

Wikipedia has very good quality of the SAME header and I believe the EOM headers on either their EAS or their SAME page in ogg format. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll get them sent to you.
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

ver tum

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:42 pm

bwillcox wrote:The SAME headers are AFSK data, so the only thing that'll generate that is a SAME or EAS endec. Its not something you'll be able to do in Audacity.

Wikipedia has very good quality of the SAME header and I believe the EOM headers on either their EAS or their SAME page in ogg format. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll get them sent to you.

I was only able to find one version of the SAME header on Wikipedia, and I need multiple versions, of various lengths. They do have a usable footer, so all I need now are the different lengths of headers. The main ones I'm looking for are the short ones for only one or two counties, and the very long ones for many counties, but anything in between would also be great. It doesn't matter what the codes mean, I'm just looking for the sounds.

BTW, this may seem like a stupid question, but are the OGG files on Wikipedia available to use without asking permission of a copyright holder?
Josh
Audio
YouTube

bwillcox

Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:44 pm

As far as I am aware, all of the stuff on Wikipedia is Creative Commons licensed, so its OK to use it as long as you attribute where you got it from.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
"Highland Village to Chief 480..Are the sirens going off? We're not sure if we set them off right or not." :lol:

ver tum

Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:53 pm

bwillcox wrote:As far as I am aware, all of the stuff on Wikipedia is Creative Commons licensed, so its OK to use it as long as you attribute where you got it from.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Cool. I'm going to try a fiew tricks in Audacity to try and change the length of the header. If that doesn't work the way I want, I guess I'll have to wait until we have more severe weather.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

guitarguy1985
YouTube Username: guitarguy19852

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:15 pm

It would be possible to do in Audacity, just extremely tedious. Basically just two tones representing ones and zeros, 520 baud. I have a program I wrote that generates valid EAS headers, I can create a few of different lengths if you're still looking.

ver tum

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:02 pm

guitarguy1985 wrote:It would be possible to do in Audacity, just extremely tedious. Basically just two tones representing ones and zeros, 520 baud. I have a program I wrote that generates valid EAS headers, I can create a few of different lengths if you're still looking.
Welcome to the Board, Guitarguy1985! Yes, I'm still looking for those headers and footers, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Just send me a private message, and I'll give you my email address, so you can send them to me.

BTW, I'm Thunderbolt1000T on YouTube. You've got great videos, man!
Josh
Audio
YouTube

guitarguy1985
YouTube Username: guitarguy19852

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks!
Here are a couple of them just for the heck of it, I made up the county codes for now. I couldn't send them as email attachments for some reason, which is weird since they shouldn't be over the size limit.

http://www.geocities.com/guitar_guy1985/eas/

A short one for one county, a long one for nine counties, and the footer is always the same.

ver tum

Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:51 am

Hey, thanks! Those sound exactly like the real thing!

If you don't mind, could you please post some for two, three, four, and five counties? Then, I'll have exactly what I need. Of course, if I post something that uses those files, I'll give you credit where credit is due.

Thanks again!
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”