bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Purdue Bell Tower to broadcast emergency tones and voice

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:43 pm

I just received an email from Purdue that states that they will be testing a new system they implemented into the bell tower, which currently only plays musical tones. Apparently the bell tower will broadcast emergency tones along with pre recorded or live voice messages. I thought this was very interesting and though I should share on here. Here is a copy of the message I received:

"Communications Announcement
Purdue University - Physical Facilities

TO: Building Deputies [Please distribute.]
FR: Purdue University Relations
DA: Wednesday, August 6, 2008
RE: Bell Tower Voice Testing

Anyone on campus this Friday morning (August 8th) should be aware that a new emergency messaging feature of the Purdue Bell Tower will be tested Friday morning between 9 and 10 a.m.

Emergency tones and live audio messages read into a microphone will be heard around campus and should be ignored. This emergency or warning system is part of an upgraded hardware package that was installed earlier this year, but previously not tested on the Purdue campus.

The feature will eventually allow the University to pre-record emergency messages pertinent to specific buildings. Those messages will be installed in the computer that drives the musical part of the bell tower and will be accessible quickly from remote locations.

Purdue Police are assisting with the test."

Unfortunately I will not be able to be there for the test or else I'd post a video on You Tube. Maybe someone from the siren board who's on campus could get one? :D

I'm anxious to see how effective the voice will be... I cant imagine it being heard very far.

Federal Signal fan

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Can you video record it? I'm very curious too to see what the new warning system sounds and/or looks like.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

bmeiser

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:45 am

Can you video record it? I'm very curious too to see what the new warning system sounds and/or looks like.
no unfortunately i wont be able to be there to record it. I'm hoping somebody does. If not, I'll find out when they plan to do regular tests and ill record at that time

Daniel

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm rather surprised that a university of the calibre of Purdue would stoop to having electronic bells. Electronic sirens are bad enough, but electronic bells are simply tacky.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

bmeiser

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 am

I'm rather surprised that a university of the calibre of Purdue would stoop to having electronic bells. Electronic sirens are bad enough, but electronic bells are simply tacky.
I think the purpose of the system being implemented into the bell tower is mainly for voice notification. Purdue has an excellent system of XT22's and an SD10 in place that they aren't planning to get rid of any time soon. If they did use one of the electronic tones on the bell tower, it would surely be drowned out by the current system. The new system is going to be Purdue's way of verbally informing people who are outside around campus of an emergency without getting rid of their current system of great sirens and replacing them with electronic ones. Once the voice message has been broadcasted from the bell tower, they will sound the sirens on campus, probably along with whatever tone they have programed into the tower for emergencies.

Check out my video on YouTube of Purdue's sirens in action. You should also be able to find a few more that others have made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C87DTjIxUxw

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”