mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 am

The McCormick Place in Chicago has some up in the ceiling in one area, though they are a bit more narrow and smaller.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

ggms24

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 am

4J25 wrote:They have those right outside Right Patterson AFB: Image
That looks nothing like the one I posted lol

acoustics101

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Just consider the driving source. A Thunderbolt horn has a 10 HP (~7500 watt) blower supplying a high air flow at moderate pressure to a chopper, wheareas the horn in the gym has a compression driver driven by 100 or so watts of audio power. Even though the horn may be very similar, the driving power to it is on the order of 1/75 the power. That in itself would give it about 18.75 dB less output than a Thunderbolt, which in a gym is still a high output (on the order of 110 dB at 100 or 140 dB at 1 meter).

ggms24 wrote:Wow I guess they can't be too loud then if your they had 4 of them in a high school sized gym
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 pm

http://tinyurl.com/3fw2c6y
Here is a video of a horn that resembles a Thunderbolt that would be every bit as loud. It is neither a siren nor a loudspeaker, but a special air horn used by NASA for acoustical stess testing of spacecraft components in a reverberant test chamber. It is now owned by Mike Socal.

Unlike a siren, the pitch is determined primarily by the horn's length. Being almost 7.5 feet long, it has a fundamental frequency on the order of only 105 Hz and carries like crazy. Listen to the long echoes!
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:59 pm

On measuring, the frequency is actually closer to 100 Hz.

acoustics101 wrote:http://tinyurl.com/3fw2c6y Unlike a siren, the pitch is determined primarily by the horn's length. Being almost 7.5 feet long, it has a fundamental frequency on the order of only 105 Hz and carries like crazy. Listen to the long echoes!

Richard Weisenberger

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:20 pm

The shape of the horn, is basically a standard exponential horn. The size is tuned to the size of the horn driver (i.e. the chopper opening in the T-Bolt, or the actual diaphragm in a vibratory horn, or the speaker cone in an audio loudspeaker). There is a lot of very complicated math involved, which I won't pretend to understand, LOL.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

MKIIProductions
YouTube Username: MKIIProductions
Discord: ncognito#6466

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:26 pm

I have seen a couple of these around here, Especially at the older universities and schools. I have a pic of them around here somewhere... If not I'll just run in and get a pic of em.
The unofficial ARS resident white noise since 2010
http://www.youtube.com/MKIIProductions
Jacob Green - 25, Wichita, Kansas
You can buy any radio you want, just don't buy a Baofeng and call it a scanner.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT MALICIOUS ACTIVATIONS

Notre.Dame1003

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, I just found out today that my high school has eight, along with eight regular speakers.
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

ggms24 wrote:
4J25 wrote:They have those right outside Right Patterson AFB: Image
That looks nothing like the one I posted lol
kind of
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

cauberallies

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:31 pm

We had a gigantic one in my former junior high school's auditorium. It was probably bigger than an actual Thunderbolt horn. I wish I would have thought to get a picture before they tore the place down. I remember going in for 7th grade orientation and seeing that on the ceiling and it just totally blowing my mind. I thought it was really a Thunderbolt! At that point(over a decade ago), I had never seen a 'bolt in person.

Apparently, it had something to do with the massive pipe organ system in there, which I also never had the chance to hear, sadly.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”