Rheems1

Penney Farms Fire Department, Clay County, FL

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm

In Florida there is a retirement community called Penney Farms, it was started by J.C. Penney of the department store fame. It was supposed to be a farming village but once the stock market took a hit in 1927 he scaled back and turned the area into a retirement community for mostly sisters (nuns) and ministers. They have their own fire department in the community and that leads me to this post, I found these pictures of thier "new" Hahn engine which should be of interest to Jinx (Mysterymachine) and maybe even Chris Bohrs (Landline) because it is X-Avondale, Pa. I didn't notice the siren right away but upon looking again, I see it now. It is indeed hooked up and sounds for fire calls, have a look:

Penney Farms by Rheems1, on Flickr

Penney Farms 2 by Rheems1, on Flickr

I think I might enjoy living next to this place.... but maybe not LOL.

landmobile

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm

I just want to know how they balance that great big siren on the driver's door of the Hahn. :D
Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

Rheems1

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm

I just want to know how I completely butchered both your real name and your screen name! LOL

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Landline, get with the program Dave!

Something tells me that siren is ungodly loud when it goes off. Probably as loud as that Hahn if it has a Jimmy.

Rheems1

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Indeed it does, 8V71 but sadly automatic... I have included a picture of this piece in Avondale livery... it is the most impossible shade of slime green... it is almost a booger green (although it doesn't show up as well in this picture). If you notice the door logo, it is mushrooms... Avondale (and it's neighbor Kennett Square) are the top 2 mushroom growing areas in the United States. To keep it on topic (and since it is MY topic and I CAN take this whatever direction I want)... Avondale has a very nice STL-10 mounted on the back of thier old fire station. I am not sure if it still sounds or not though.

Avondale by Rheems1, on Flickr

Mac

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 pm

holler wrote: Something tells me that siren is ungodly loud when it goes off. Probably as loud as that Hahn if it has a Jimmy.

It's an old single headed B like mine, I haven't seen another before! :D :D :D They are downright painful to be infront of.
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”