YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

LaVergne voting tonight on Code Red weather alert system

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 am

Jeb is gonna love reading this one.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/17115535/lave ... ert-system
Posted: Mar 08, 2012 5:19 PM CST
Updated: Mar 08, 2012 5:30 PM CST

La Vergne, TN (WSMV) -
LaVergne city leaders have pondered adding weather warning sirens, but the price tag was quite high. Now they are considering a much cheaper system that can alert residents at home or work, by phone, email or even social networking sites.

The rain this morning was the least of the worry for folks in LaVergne. Instead it's the severe stuff like the tornados that hit the mid-state last week that has city leaders wanting to sound the alarm.

"We dodged a tornado barely," said city spokesperson Kathy Tyson.

John Martin's home in the Walnut Ridge Subdivision wasn't so lucky last year it was hit by a tornado.

"It just got pitch dark, and all of a sudden it starting blowing really hard to the point of shaking the house. It did extensive damage," Martin said.

He's all for the city warning residents about severe weather.

"That way if you're at the grocery store you can hear it or something like that, shopping you can hear it and get home," Martin said.

The city is considering implementing Code Red; a computer based call alert system that can be used for more than just weather alerts.

"I believe it's the most efficient way to alert our residents of emergency or severe weather outbreaks," City Alderman Tom Broeker said.

The system can be customized and folks can decide how they want to receive the warnings.

"Your home phone, your cell phone, your work phone, your email, your work email," Broeker said.

At first LaVergne City leaders had considered adding 10 weather warning sirens around the city, but with a price tag of more than $600,000 and an out cry from some residents, that was taken off the table.

Two tornados within three weeks of each other in November 1900, virtually blew LaVergne off the map according to city history. Those devastating events coupled with the recent outbreaks of tornados have prompted the city to protect residents at any cost.

But until some type of alert system is in place, the city has launched a new website where residents will be alerted on social networking sites about severe weather.

The mayor and Board of Aldermen will be voting on the Code Red system at tonight's board meeting. It will only cost $6,000 for the system for the remainder of the year. After that it will cost around $21,000 a year for unlimited use if the city signs a 5-year contract.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

uncommonsense

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 am

And what happens in these instances?
Glitch kept company from sending alerts as Branson tornado hit

The check cleared on Feb. 7, but when a tornado hit Branson on Leap Day, area residents didn?t get the warning phone calls the check was supposed to pay for.

David DiGiacomo, the president of Emergency Communications Network, said information for most of the Branson customers hadn?t been reloaded into a database after the city let its annual contract with the company lapse. The contract covers phone calls to Branson residents who have registered with the company in case of a disaster.

?When you install and reinstall any service, there has to be time to get it going again,? DiGiacomo said.

City Administrator Dean Kruithof signed a new contract with the company on Jan. 25, and the city sent Emergency Communications a check for $9,261.75 on Jan. 27.

?Our assertion is that we had a contract a month before the tornado happened,? said Branson spokesman Garrett Anderson.

He said the contract lapsed while Branson was talking to Taney County officials about expanding the service countywide. The service wasn?t expanded, and the city signed a new contract with Emergency Communications. The start date of the current contract is Jan. 1.

?It wasn?t intentionally dropped,? Anderson said.

He said the company confirmed Thursday that Branson phone numbers were in the system.

The contract does not address how long it will take Emergency Communications to reactivate customer information.

?The answer we give all clients is that this process typically takes 30 days to reinstate all the previous custom acquired data,? DiGiacomo said.

CodeRED is a service that Branson residents sign up for at

http://www.cityofbranson.org/police/codered/index.htm to have their names and contact information put in a database. About 950 residents had signed up for the notifications.

Storms hit Branson on Feb. 29, causing scattered and serious damage to structures and some injuries. No one was killed.

?It just happened at the wrong time,? DiGiacomo said of the tornado. ?Branson did everything right on their end.?

DiGiacomo said some clients have renewal provisions in their contracts so there isn?t a lapse in service.

But Anderson said the city likes to let the current office holders decide what services the city has.

?We don?t like to obligate future boards with contracts,? he said.

DiGiacomo said the company is taking steps to try to make sure that there isn?t as long a lag time in the future with customers who may be dropped and then added again.

The CodeRED system works by comparing computerzied maps of the predicted path of the storms from the National Weather Service to maps of the addresses for the subscribers to the service.

Emergency Communications was founded in 1998.

DiGiacomo said service is more accurate than weather radios which put out an alert to based on what county the storm is in. He said the company has contacted Springfield about CodeRED.

Emergency Communications has also developed an app for iPhones and is working on one for android phones.
Source:http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 2303070056

Last I checked, sirens don't require reupping of contracts AND they can alert all people, citizens or not (notice that blown out hotel on the source page and tell me if any of THEM would have gotten that alert had it been sent out!)

Taterworks

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:15 am

We need a web site that can provide information to public officials about the various forms of mass notification and how they all play into a complete disaster warning plan. It seems like these short-sighted and poorly-informed decisions are based on slick sales pitches (complete with buzzwords like "smart phone", "social networking", and "apps" which sound very good in press releases) and very little actual study into what warning method will be the most effective in notifying the public at-large.

Systems like "CodeRED" and reverse-911 can only supplement sirens, not replace them entirely, because not everyone can be expected to carry a 'smart phone', and weather radios also can't replace sirens because not everyone can be expected to own or be near a weather radio. The universally 'opt-in' nature of these systems means that their effectiveness is limited by education of the public regarding their existence and how to sign up for the service.

If towns find that sirens are too costly to implement, they can begin installing them only in areas where people gather outdoors, such as shopping areas, "main drag" areas (restaurants and lodging), schools, and outdoor entertainment centers (like parks and amphitheaters), and then later expand the system to cover the entire town.

Model2

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:38 am

Some of us should contact the city council? I'm all for any warning system, even just basic text messaging or facebook page services, but a city in TN should have as many methods as possible. A couple Model 2's at least. Not every city needs to spend $30,000 on a 2001 siren when a handful of small sirens are just as effective. I wonder if companies pitch that option?

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:49 am

Model2 wrote:Some of us should contact the city council? I'm all for any warning system, even just basic text messaging or facebook page services, but a city in TN should have as many methods as possible. A couple Model 2's at least. Not every city needs to spend $30,000 on a 2001 siren when a handful of small sirens are just as effective. I wonder if companies pitch that option?
Personally, I'd go for a few Sentry 3v8s or 3v8-Hs here and there. Yeah, they're a little bit more expensive than Model 2s, but considering how much Federal Signal's quality has gone into the septic tank in the last 10 years, I'd avoid them. I'm not just saying this without reason either, my town just got a Model 2 about 2-3 years ago and it's already running at half speed and is covered in rust.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 am

thewoog34 wrote:
Model2 wrote:Some of us should contact the city council? I'm all for any warning system, even just basic text messaging or facebook page services, but a city in TN should have as many methods as possible. A couple Model 2's at least. Not every city needs to spend $30,000 on a 2001 siren when a handful of small sirens are just as effective. I wonder if companies pitch that option?
Personally, I'd go for a few Sentry 3v8s or 3v8-Hs here and there. Yeah, they're a little bit more expensive than Model 2s, but considering how much Federal Signal's quality has gone into the septic tank in the last 10 years, I'd avoid them. I'm not just saying this without reason either, my town just got a Model 2 about 2-3 years ago and it's already running at half speed and is covered in rust.
Funny because I've seen Model 2s that have been installed in the last 10 years and they look just fine. Also why don't you just ask your town if you can repair it?
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 am

2001's don't cost $30,000 either. Stop blabbing nonsense.

Pretty much everyone here knows my stance on CodeRED, and how they market it as the "silver bullet" for mass notification. There is no silver bullet or perfect warning system, and there never will be.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Crazywarriorman wrote:
thewoog34 wrote:
Funny because I've seen Model 2s that have been installed in the last 10 years and they look just fine. Also why don't you just ask your town if you can repair it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH57dulstQg

It pretty much is just like this one. I have offered to repair it but the mayor decided to just let it rot then they would get something from a different company. Kind of strange considering how small my town's budget is.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Model2

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm

holler wrote:2001's don't cost $30,000 either. Stop blabbing nonsense.

Pretty much everyone here knows my stance on CodeRED, and how they market it as the "silver bullet" for mass notification. There is no silver bullet or perfect warning system, and there never will be.
I always thought they cost around $30,000 and it was just an example. Not trying to win some beauty pageant here. I'm sorry my nonsensical spewing has upset you. :lol:

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 pm

oops, my apoligies.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”