kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Moorpark Thunderbolt back online! MAJOR bust-up discovered

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Finally I had a chance to disassemble my Thunderbolt to find out why the chopper motor stopped dead on New Years Eve this year. I found that the collector rings were all bound up and bent, and the standoff insulators and one rotation brush, were all busted up :cry: . Here's a picture of the collector ring and pieces of standoff insulators:

I embezzled the collector ring assembly from my other T-Bolt for the time being, and have installed it in the 1000T single-phase, and it's working fine now!

As best I can tell, three of the 4 bolts holding the collector ring assembly into the standpipe, had backed out over time, and the rings fell crooked. This allowed one of the brushes to catch between the rings, and torqued the whole arse'y to rip the wires off the rings (luckily, or I'd have had a 50-amp short, which easily could have done some unwelcome welding inside the chopper housing! ).

Moral of the story: Check your collector ring bolts!

I haven't checked to see if Fed Sig has those parts anymore, and if not, I'll put an ad on our wanted section, and/or have a machinist I know, make some standoffs out of Lucite and maybe a set of rings, if these can't be straightened out perfectly. They're warped pretty badly.

Charles
Last edited by kx250rider on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Dayum! Hope you get it fixed!
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:16 am

Loctite is a wonderful thing.