DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Questions About a Ft. Benning Siren

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 am

Hello everybody. I have some questions.

I live in Columbus GA and have access to FT. Benning via my grandfather. Their system consists of, well to the best my knowledge, solar powered Whelen WPS 2910s that replaced 2nd gen. 2001s. There?s a siren that constantly malfunctions during the tests. I?ve reported it 3 times and it still continues to malfunction to this day (I reported it 3 months ago). Apparently no one in that neighbourhood seems to care.

They test alert 3 times for about 30 seconds with a voice message in between the blasts. The siren goes off in alert for around 10 seconds before cutting out depending on the day. That number declines during the test. All it says is ?This is.? They replaced the batteries one time and it sounded fine until the second voice message. I think the solar panel is a bit sad.

What do you think is wrong with it?
Can I post a vid of it on youtube?

Tests are on the first Sat. of the month.

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 am

You can post a video as long as you are able record video or audio and be at the siren when it goes off, and as long as no one tries to run you off any property they may not want you on. ;)

It does sound like a bad panel.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:56 pm

It sounds like something is fried in it.

P.S: if you go up to CSU, there is an SD-10 on Fall Line Trace. http://goo.gl/maps/2kjWS
25, unfortunately not dead yet.
1950 Model A, 1940s Darley Champion
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:45 am

The fort also has some other kind of siren on post that I saw when I was there visiting a friend of mine. I have no idea what it was, but it looked like a DSA without horns. Instead of horns there were just screens on the boxes. I am 99% sure it wasn't a cell phone tower or antenna array because it had the newer Federal-style control boxes on it.

The arrays looked like this, but I don't think this is exactly what they were:

Most of the military installations around here have ATI's and Modulators. I don't believe anyone uses eletromechanicals anymore, but some places like Lawton/Ft. Sill still have Thunderbolts on property. I doubt they are still in use.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”