TheNicknology

YouTube Username: Thenicknology

New Siren(s) In Sterling Heights MI

Thu May 02, 2013 12:10 am

So, on Friday on my way home, I passed by one of the sirens by my house.. It used to be a Whelen WPS-3016 like all the others, but now it is a Federal Signal Modulator.. Replaced Friday afternoon. I think first gen, but look at the picture.. But it is definitely the 6024 model! :D I was not aware they did this, but I know that particular one (3016) missed a lot of tests. It doesn't doesn't surprise me they went with an electronic siren, but I did not expect a mod. I guess since they already had UltraVoice controls it made sense.. but these don't look like the same boxes. I pass by two other sirens every day en route to school, and the other is still a 3016. I am not sure about the one in Dodge Park.. Are all of them getting new systems or just this one..? By the way the mod is the one just south of 18 and Ryan..

TheNicknology

Re: New Siren(s) In Sterling Heights MI

Thu May 02, 2013 12:19 am

See photo below..
Last edited by TheNicknology on Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheNicknology

Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 am

Okay, there we go! So sorry..
Attachments
photo (3).JPG

EL1998P71

Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 am

The city got some more funding to replace 2 siren heads. Ryan rd and the one in Dodge Park on Utica rd.
Eventually all the 3016 heads will be replaced when the city gets the funds according to WSS.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

OhioSirenHunter
YouTube Username: SRP
Discord: srp

Fri May 03, 2013 1:56 am

That's understandable that they went with Modulators, for the Ultra Voice Controllers. So Eric, Dodge Park's 3016 is gone and is a Modulator is there now?

TheNicknology

Sat May 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes, I am at Dodge park right now and can confirm there is a new modulator. It looks more compact like the modulator II Series. I took a pic so I will see about getting it up. Why did they replace the one at Dodge Park?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

uncommonsense

Sat May 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Heyyyyy! No doubt about it: that's our first Mod II in the wild. That's a Mod 8032 no less. Nice find and congrats for being the first person to catch this beast in the wild! They are itty-bitty.

TheNicknology

Sat May 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Is the first picture a Mod II or Mod 1? It looks like the old one, but why would that be if this is a II? Don't they want the same sirens if they getting installed at the same time?

ALSO: Might post a vid of its first test.. Didn't get all of it close up or in shot.. But at the end I caught it and the wind down from where I took the first pictures..

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 pm

That is definitely a Modulator II. Normal Mods can't have more than 7 cells. This one has 9.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

uncommonsense

Sat May 04, 2013 7:25 pm

TheNicknology wrote:Is the first picture a Mod II or Mod 1? It looks like the old one, but why would that be if this is a II? Don't they want the same sirens if they getting installed at the same time?

ALSO: Might post a vid of its first test.. Didn't get all of it close up or in shot.. But at the end I caught it and the wind down from where I took the first pictures..
The first photo in the thread is definitely a run of the mill Mod. The second set of photos is of a Mod II. You can tell there's a major size difference. Who knows what went on but the siren head works just the same.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”