Should sirens be mounted on top of public schools

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 47
LtKernelPanic

Wed May 24, 2006 6:15 am

Sure. Why not? The elementary had a 2 or 3T22 on the roof. It provided coverage for a pretty good residential area. I think themiddle school I went to had one as well but I'm not 100% certain. AFAIK none of the new sirens the city installed after retiring the old cold war era sirens are mounted on schools.

AllSafe

Sun May 28, 2006 2:56 am

It used to be back in the 1950s-1960s during the Cold War that the Sedgwick County, KS EMA insisted that every public school building had at least one Thunderbolt, either mounted on a pole in the field behind the school (that was the most common installation) or on top of the building.

Jim_Ferer

Tue May 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Sirens should not be mounted on top of school buildings. If they are to be mounted on school property the sirens should be on tall poles on the grounds.

I'm sure the reason so many sirens are at schools is that it's public space and set at more or less even intervals around a city, the same as firehouses. Most sirens are on some kind of public space. Growing up in the Cold War the sirens were everywhere, but even then mostly on public buildings or public property of some kind.

Archon

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:18 am

N/A
Last edited by Archon on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdy

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Both elementary schools I attended had pole mounted sirens right next to them. The first had a Tbolt, and the second had a 2001. They never bothered my hearing, freaked me out a bit though.

Sadly, that Tbolt is now history. :cry:
-Bird.

Nelso90

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:18 am

I vote yes. On my old elementary school, we had a Dual Tone Screamer, then a 2001. The screamer scared me out of my mind! It had a really quite creepy 9/12 ratio. The 2001 never bothered me much at all. It is loud as hell though!

SirenMadness

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:26 pm

Yeah, I forgot to tell you that in Germany we had an E-57 on top of our school. I was going to attend, but I moved just before I did. However, the E-57 on that school made a simply striking harmony at the wind-down when it and the E-57 on a waste-management building close by sounded at intervals just a second or less away! When sounded together, they used to scare the hell out of me when I was about six of age, or so. Also, the E-57 on that school was the siren that got my attention at the triangular mounting head.
~ Peter Radanovic

Rory Buszka

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:56 pm

Whelen's electronic sirens use horns that can have significant pattern control in the vertical plane, which may be easier on the ears of anyone standing below the siren.
Say NO to excessive siren testing - overtesting desensitizes the public.
Say NO to voice siren systems - multiple origins = unintelligible audio.

thunderbolt1003kid

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:37 pm

all the schools in gering but the high school have sirens right beside there playground i vote yes because schools are mostly in residential areas where people need to hear the sirens

Melvin Potts

Sirens on Schools

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:59 am

It used to be back in the 1950s-1960s during the Cold War that the Sedgwick County, KS EMA insisted that every public school building had at least one Thunderbolt, either mounted on a pole in the field behind the school (that was the most common installation) or on top of the building.
This quote from douro20 brought back memories! The city of Nashville once had a system of Thunderbolts. I don't know just when it was installed; would speculate sometime in 50s.

There was one on a pole behind the Overton High School building (my alma mater). Well do I remember the every Wednesday noon tests during the Cold War/Cuban Missile Crisis days of the early 60s.

There were Thunderbolts at other schools around town, along with 2 atop buildings uptown. These sirens were disconnected sometime in the 80s; most of them have been taken down now.

A few years ago the city installed 70 of the ATI sirens on city property; many of them at schools. There's one at Crieve Hall School, about a half mile from my house.

The system is tested on 1st Saturday of the month at noon. Many Saturdays I don't hear it at all. If the wind is blowing the right direction I can hear it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”