Allenorgan42099

STH-10 in Chautauqua, New York

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:20 am

This FS STH-10A belongs to the volunteer fire department in Chautauqua, New York, (my second town). It has been subject to numerous complaints, but some people, like me, like the siren and would miss it if it was gone. Do you have any idea how old this particular STH is? Also, Chautauqua County is STH-10 HEAVEN! It has the most STH-10s in it of any county I've been too so far.

Articles featuring pictures of the siren:

http://chqdaily.com/2013/08/20/fire-chi ... for-siren/

http://www.daily.experiencechautauqua.c ... 073110.pdf

I think, judging by its looks, it is from the 1950s, making it one of the earlier STH-10s.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Re: STH-10 in Chautauqua, New York

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah, NY is STH, Model 2 and Model 5 heaven (except for Schenectady County). It does look pretty old. I'm interested in what sirens you got out there in Chautauqua County (other than STH-10s)

Allenorgan42099

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Mark N wrote:Yeah, NY is STH, Model 2 and Model 5 heaven (except for Schenectady County). It does look pretty old. I'm interested in what sirens you got out there in Chautauqua County (other than STH-10s)

Mayville: dark-colored STH-10 on the roof of the fire department, with some horn things below it.

Chautauqua: yellow STH-10 on pole overlooking the overflow parking lot

North Harmony: red Model 5/7 on pole at the Ashville Fire District

Dewittville: STH-10? on the roof of the fire department

Bemus Point: red Sentry 10V on the roof of the fire department

Ashville: formerly a red Model 5/7 on a pole next to the fire department, which was demolished, and the siren went too.

Lakewood: dark-colored STH-10 on the roof of the Anthony C. Caprino Municipal Building.

Celoron: yellow Model 5/7 on the roof of Celoron Hose Co No. 1.

Panama: dark-colored, double-pole mounted STH-10 behind the fire department.

Kiantone: burgundy STH-10 on the roof of the fire department.

Frewsburg: yellow STH-10 on pole beside the fire department.

Randolph: gray modified STH-10 on pole beside the fire department.

I once saw a Model 2 somewhere in Chautauqua County, but I can't remember where it was.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Mark N wrote:Yeah, NY is STH, Model 2 and Model 5 heaven (except for Schenectady County). It does look pretty old. I'm interested in what sirens you got out there in Chautauqua County (other than STH-10s)
A little off topic, but wasn't NY also known for the HOR's too?
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 am

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
NYC mainly, but there a few. Here is a shrunken HOR 2
Attachments
image.jpg

Rheems1

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Mark N wrote:
Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
That looks to be the little HOR Siro-Drone mounted on the auto body shop in Morrisville, NY up by Syracuse, I was in Morrisville when they got a fire call and the only siren I heard was the STH-10 at the firehouse.. not so sure this little guy sounds anymore.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Rheems1 wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Chicagosiren-hunters wrote: A little off topic, but wasn't NY also known for the HOR's too?
That looks to be the little HOR Siro-Drone mounted on the auto body shop in Morrisville, NY up by Syracuse, I was in Morrisville when they got a fire call and the only siren I heard was the STH-10 at the firehouse.. not so sure this little guy sounds anymore.
No it doesn't, to my knowledge. I'm thinking that was the old FD in Morrisville before the current one. I want to ask PPG Collision center sometime.
So it looks like your county is dotted with 12 port sirens except for that Sentry. Do you know if it replaced something?

Allenorgan42099

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:13 pm

That looks to be the little HOR Siro-Drone mounted on the auto body shop in Morrisville, NY up by Syracuse, I was in Morrisville when they got a fire call and the only siren I heard was the STH-10 at the firehouse.. not so sure this little guy sounds anymore.[/quote]
No it doesn't, to my knowledge. I'm thinking that was the old FD in Morrisville before the current one. I want to ask PPG Collision center sometime.
So it looks like your county is dotted with 12 port sirens except for that Sentry. Do you know if it replaced something?[/quote]

I am not sure about the Sentry. I saw a Model 2 in Chautauqua County one time, but I can't remember where it was. I wonder if the yellow Celoron Model 5/7 is a 9/12-port 5/7T dual-tone version?

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Allenorgan42099 wrote:I am not sure about the Sentry. I saw a Model 2 in Chautauqua County one time, but I can't remember where it was. I wonder if the yellow Celoron Model 5/7 is a 9/12-port 5/7T dual-tone version?
Look in the housing from below or at least where you can see the chopper. If all you can see is a big stator with many openings, then it is a 12 port, if it is a big rotor with few openings, it is an 8 port, and if it has two stators or one small stator (depends on where you look at it) then it is a 9/12 port version.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”