Thun-1003guy

Morrill Nebraska Thunderbolt siren

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Good afternoon all, just wanted to share another picture of a classic around my area. This Thunderbolt 1003 is located at the fire hall in Morrill Nebraska. It sounds for tornado warnings and for fire calls if needed. Last time I heard it it sounds in "hi-lo attack" for fire calls. The Decot on the platform next to the blower sounds weekdays at noon. This is unfortunately slated for replacement as well, whenever Scottsbluff County EMA gets a grant to replace this one and the other 4 in Scottsbluff. But who knows when that'll happen.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (529.47 KiB) Viewed 2493 times

flatlandsparky

Re: Morrill Nebraska Thunderbolt siren

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:16 am

Crawford NE's 1003 has a similar setup, but a Sterling instead of a Decot on the blower platform. Is there any other small towns in the panhandle area that has/did this kind of setup?

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:17 am

Sorry to hear that they are being replaced! That Decot is actually an Erick siren. You can tell by the shorter size and a lack of an "arrowhead" at the top.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Josh
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MetroSignal
Discord: Josh555#0001

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 am

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:Sorry to hear that they are being replaced! That Decot is actually an Erick siren. You can tell by the shorter size and a lack of an "arrowhead" at the top.
yep. what he said. its an erick siren.
- Josh
proud owner of a Federal Signal corporation Model A

Thun-1003guy

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:41 am

flatlandsparky wrote:Crawford NE's 1003 has a similar setup, but a Sterling instead of a Decot on the blower platform. Is there any other small towns in the panhandle area that has/did this kind of setup?
As far as I know there isn't any other small towns in the panhandle that have a 2 siren set up like this. Bayard Nebraska has a Thunderbolt 1003 that was double pole mounted like this one, it was the moved about 200 ft and mounted on a single pole mount. They inherited a 3T22 from McGrew Nebraska which downsized to a Model 2. Minatare Nebraska had a 3T22 which has recently been replaced with a Federal 2001-130, their 3T22 now resides in Melbeta Nebraska. I will go out for a drive one day and stap pictures of all of these one day. I'm pretty sure Scottsbluff's, Gering's, Morrill's and Bayard's were all purchased around the same time since they were mounted identical with the double pole mount. Here's a pic of one of my favorite 1003's in Scottsbluff, I wish I lived right underneath it! If anyone is interested I have 2 videos of Scottsbluff's 1003's going off for the annual tests on YouTube, they aren't the greatest but hey, you still get that Tbolt roar! Just type in "Scottsbluff Thunderbolt" and they'll pop right up :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (141.93 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”