Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Re: Post your Mystery Sirens here.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I've been doing a virtual hunt in the Erie, PA area as I'm going to be up there for a couple days this summer, and found this weird box with horns in Northwest Harborcreek... Anyone have any idea what it might be? https://goo.gl/maps/z4bCwjz825x
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

connerdstines

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Oldiesmann wrote:I've been doing a virtual hunt in the Erie, PA area as I'm going to be up there for a couple days this summer, and found this weird box with horns in Northwest Harborcreek... Anyone have any idea what it might be? https://goo.gl/maps/z4bCwjz825x
Bet you 1 cent that it's a Sterling of some sort. Most of those "mystery machines" that have custom horn pieces like that that iv'e seen were all Sterlings.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:36 pm

It's probably a Sterling, like connerdstines said. A lot of Sterlings have different horns, and as such, people classify them as "mystery sirens".
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:37 am

It could be a modified Sterling Little Giant
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 pm

The fact that you can see inside both horns at the same time makes me think this isn't a horizontal siren.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Perhaps it is just very, very weird looking diaphones?
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

KGK1234

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

I was doing a virtual siren hunt in Gibbon, NE and found this. I'm thinking Decot, but I can't be too sure. https://goo.gl/maps/Y4pAmaNp6tD2
Proud owner of a Model 2.

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:17 pm

KGK1234 wrote:I was doing a virtual siren hunt in Gibbon, NE and found this. I'm thinking Decot, but I can't be too sure. https://goo.gl/maps/Y4pAmaNp6tD2
Yup! I'm pretty sure that is a Decot! Congrats! You found a Decot, not too many are Known, so awesome dude! :D Thank you very much for finding another Decot location that exist!
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Valtonus wrote:
KGK1234 wrote:I was doing a virtual siren hunt in Gibbon, NE and found this. I'm thinking Decot, but I can't be too sure. https://goo.gl/maps/Y4pAmaNp6tD2
Yup! I'm pretty sure that is a Decot! Congrats! You found a Decot, not too many are Known, so awesome dude! :D Thank you very much for finding another Decot location that exist!
That's actually an Eric Fire Siren. They seem to be fairly popular in Nebraska.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

SuperBanshee

Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:43 pm

The siren in Gibbon, NE is an Erick fire siren, made by the Erick Electric Siren Company of St. Paul, MN. They are named after their inventor Emil Erick. Good quality sirens, and built to last. They're easy to tell from the Decot Red Arrows: the Erick sirens use a direct-coupled motor shaft, mounting legs are welded smooth onto the motor housing, and they are usually single tone 12 or 16 port. The exact shape of the Erick sirens varied over the years - some had a taller "basket" while others were flatter.

Erick was sold off to another Minnesota firm during the 1940s. Production continued under new ownership until the 1950s or thereabout. The later Erick sirens are different from their pre-war counterparts. In fact they were very similar to the sirens produced by Decot Engineering Works of St. Paul, MN.

Here is one of several Erick siren advertisements. They were most popular in Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
Erick 4.png
Erick Advertisement, 1920s.
Erick 4.png (147.41 KiB) Viewed 3163 times

Return to “Mystery Sirens”