GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

West Shore Services

Thu May 05, 2016 7:41 pm

So I will be going to Michigan in June, and as many of you know, West Shore Services and their massive siren graveyard is in Allendale :D . I am hoping to be able to acquire one of their old sirens, and I know for a fact you have to call them and ask for a specific siren and get straight to the point before you go. However is there anything else I need to know before going there? I have $575 saved up, so something 500 dollars or less would be nice if they have something like that... A little information about how to get one of their old sirens or parts of one (chopper motors, etc.) would be appreciated. Thank you!
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: West Shore Services

Thu May 05, 2016 8:55 pm

When are you going? I hope to go to WSS this summer, and maybe if our dates line up, we could meet up! A word to the wise: 1. WSS is open Monday-Friday, not on weekends, and 2. careful with what siren you want, for if it is one that is either A, single phase B, a smaller unit or C, in a better condition the prices will be higher. I hope this helps!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

GreenblottF

Thu May 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:When are you going? I hope to go to WSS this summer, and maybe if our dates line up, we could meet up! A word to the wise: 1. WSS is open Monday-Friday, not on weekends, and 2. careful with what siren you want, for if it is one that is either A, single phase B, a smaller unit or C, in a better condition the prices will be higher. I hope this helps!
I am going sometime after June 18. I am actually going to a radio-controlled flying camp in Muncie, Indiana, then my grandpa is taking me up to Michigan. Allendale is about a 4 hour drive from Muncie so he said it may be possible. I'm not going for sure yet, but it is a possibility.

I was hoping to get a single-phase siren so I don't have to go through the complications of three-phase, but like you said, they charge more for single-phases... Maybe I could get a single-phase model in a poorer condition. Repairing the siren should be a fun challenge!

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Thu May 05, 2016 10:22 pm

GreenblottF wrote:
Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:When are you going? I hope to go to WSS this summer, and maybe if our dates line up, we could meet up! A word to the wise: 1. WSS is open Monday-Friday, not on weekends, and 2. careful with what siren you want, for if it is one that is either A, single phase B, a smaller unit or C, in a better condition the prices will be higher. I hope this helps!
I am going sometime after June 18. I am actually going to a radio-controlled flying camp in Muncie, Indiana, then my grandpa is taking me up to Michigan. Allendale is about a 4 hour drive from Muncie so he said it may be possible. I'm not going for sure yet, but it is a possibility.

I was hoping to get a single-phase siren so I don't have to go through the complications of three-phase, but like you said, they charge more for single-phases... Maybe I could get a single-phase model in a poorer condition. Repairing the siren should be a fun challenge!
If the motor is in poor condition, I wouldn't imagine that being fun of all things tbh. :P
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

GreenblottF

Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Valtonus wrote:
GreenblottF wrote:

If the motor is in poor condition, I wouldn't imagine that being fun of all things tbh. :P
I'm better with mechanics than I am with electrics (but I'm pretty good at both) so it shouldn't be too hard. I'm looking primarily for a Thunderbolt 1000TB chopper motor, a Model 2 or a Model 2T. Something on the smaller end, but if they don't have those then I'll always get something a little bigger like a Model 5/5T or a Banshee... They have PLENTY of those.

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Fri May 06, 2016 6:00 am

I am not sure what all they have still laying around, as it's been (omg 7) years since I was there to buy my Thunderbolt. I have seen them list numerous old sirens on eBay, and I believe they had an ad in the "For Sale" section of this website. At any rate, as long as you present yourself in a reasonable manner, show some initiative and be able to accept a siren with little help (they just used a crane and dropped mine in the pickup bed) then I don't see why that amount of money won't get you something decent. I was able to walk out of there with what could have been a complete unit (if I had wanted the blower, which I did not) with ARCH, RCM and even an extra RCM for less than the amount you are willing to spend. This was for a 1000BT, manufactured in the very late 1980s in excellent condition.
-The Princess

GreenblottF

Fri May 06, 2016 3:04 pm

SirenkiD wrote:I am not sure what all they have still laying around, as it's been (omg 7) years since I was there to buy my Thunderbolt. I have seen them list numerous old sirens on eBay, and I believe they had an ad in the "For Sale" section of this website. At any rate, as long as you present yourself in a reasonable manner, show some initiative and be able to accept a siren with little help (they just used a crane and dropped mine in the pickup bed) then I don't see why that amount of money won't get you something decent. I was able to walk out of there with what could have been a complete unit (if I had wanted the blower, which I did not) with ARCH, RCM and even an extra RCM for less than the amount you are willing to spend. This was for a 1000BT, manufactured in the very late 1980s in excellent condition.
Well, this all sounds promising! I watched a video of the WSS junkyard taken on December 31, 2015 and from what I saw they still had plenty of Thunderbolts (particularly 1003's), Model 5/5T's and Banshees.

connerdstines

Fri May 06, 2016 3:08 pm

GreenblottF wrote:
SirenkiD wrote:I am not sure what all they have still laying around, as it's been (omg 7) years since I was there to buy my Thunderbolt. I have seen them list numerous old sirens on eBay, and I believe they had an ad in the "For Sale" section of this website. At any rate, as long as you present yourself in a reasonable manner, show some initiative and be able to accept a siren with little help (they just used a crane and dropped mine in the pickup bed) then I don't see why that amount of money won't get you something decent. I was able to walk out of there with what could have been a complete unit (if I had wanted the blower, which I did not) with ARCH, RCM and even an extra RCM for less than the amount you are willing to spend. This was for a 1000BT, manufactured in the very late 1980s in excellent condition.
Well, this all sounds promising! I watched a video of the WSS junkyard taken on December 31, 2015 and from what I saw they still had plenty of Thunderbolts (particularly 1003's), Model 5/5T's and Banshees.
All totally rusted and corroded. And infested with bees from what i hear.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

GreenblottF

Fri May 06, 2016 3:57 pm

connerdstines wrote:
GreenblottF wrote:
All totally rusted and corroded. And infested with bees from what i hear.
Ah. Still, it's better than what most siren graveyards have... There has to be at least SOME half-decent ones laying around... Hopefully...

Siranator3001

Fri May 06, 2016 6:03 pm

I really wan't to go there but living here in Missouri means that it would be out of the way. I do want to own one of those banshees that they have there. Personally I love thunderbolts but it would take up to much space and a banshee won't take up much space. It also something we don't see here often.
Live in Whelen and 2001-130 country!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”