Josh_S
YouTube Username: WI Fox Valley Lifts and Alarms

Removing a T-128

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Hey guys!
Just a few quick questions. I will be removing a T-128 on 09/17/2016. We will be using a 33 ton boom truck service via a local crane company. My idea is, harness the pole above the control boxes and raise up the harness to the pole bracket bolts and bring the harness taught. Then I would cut the pole at the base and we would lower it down onto a few trusses. Then harness the head's eyebolt, unbolt the pole mount from the head and lift the unit into the truck. Seems fairly simple. My goal is to remove the thing without a bucket truck (crane is expensive as it is). From what the crane company has said, as long as the harness will grab onto something when lifted up the pole it should be fine. How have you guys removed older siren units, specifically without a bucket truck?
Proud owner of a ATI HPSS16R, a Whelen Hornet, and an ASC T-128ACDC

sSirb2001

YouTube Username: Sage Perkins

Re: Removing a T-128

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:27 pm

its impossible to remove a heavy thing without a bucket truck. You atleast want to have one or you will get hurt.

Josh_S

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:10 pm

sSirb2001 wrote:its impossible to remove a heavy thing without a bucket truck. You atleast want to have one or you will get hurt.
I guess we will be having an interesting removal then lol

Bryan

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:59 am

I've removed two of them, both by using a crane and a bucket truck and pulling the head off first followed by the pole. If you take it all while attached to the pole be careful that nothing puts a horizontal force on the siren head or you'll damage the siren head. Make sure you have a strong stand to lean the top of the pole on so that you can keep the siren head off. Also make sure whatever town/city you're getting it from does not require you to pull the entire pole out of the ground. If so you'll be responsible for filling the hole and making sure no one manages to fall into the hole. Hopefully your 128 isn't close to power lines like the last two i've taken down were!
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

sSirb2001

YouTube Username: Sage Perkins

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 am

yeah, you need to or else your going to get fired

Josh_S

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:57 am

Bryan wrote:I've removed two of them, both by using a crane and a bucket truck and pulling the head off first followed by the pole. If you take it all while attached to the pole be careful that nothing puts a horizontal force on the siren head or you'll damage the siren head. Make sure you have a strong stand to lean the top of the pole on so that you can keep the siren head off. Also make sure whatever town/city you're getting it from does not require you to pull the entire pole out of the ground. If so you'll be responsible for filling the hole and making sure no one manages to fall into the hole. Hopefully your 128 isn't close to power lines like the last two i've taken down were!
So its doable, just have to be careful as heck I suppose. Afaik the city official responsible said that they would remove the pole stump. I'll just cut it down short with a chainsaw. As far as what to place the pole onto while we remove the head, any suggestions?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”