Castlevania2006

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:05 pm

Im afraid that if a fire was to start somewhere in the building I wouldn't know cause I can't hear the ones in the hallway.
Jason C is the new ruler of this board,
do what he says or he'll cut off your big toe!
On that you can trust me on.

StonedChipmunk

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah, I think they should trash that smoke detector system for your rooms and add some smoke/horns. If the occupant of the burning room ran outside and pulled a pull station, it would only work if they added horn/strobes to the rooms inside. And that would rack up a lot and would be inefficient because if the burning room set off the smoke detectors but nobody was inside it (or in any of the adjacent rooms that could hear it) then it would be too late once it spread elsewhere.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

SirenEnthusiast360

fire alarm in appartment complex

Tue May 01, 2007 5:18 am

If I were him, I deffinetly wouldn't be able to handle the alarm system, the white residential alarms are ok, but I hate the red boxy looking alarms they have in most appartment buildings.
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

StonedChipmunk

Re: fire alarm in appartment complex

Tue May 01, 2007 12:36 pm

SirenEnthusiast360 wrote:I hate the red boxy looking alarms they have in most appartment buildings.
Actually, it just depends on what alarms the contractor feels like using. We've got really tiny white ones here in my dorm:
If they were installed when the building was built, they wouldn't even need the wiring box on the back of it (which would make it almost flush with the wall).

You may be thinking of the wiring box I mentioned, though. If the system is installed in a new "appartment", then they don't have the wiring box and it's pretty flush with the wall. But I think you're talking about the red square instead of the newer small white ones. Yes, these are really annoying and they stand out too well when you don't need them to.

Castlevania2006

Tue May 01, 2007 3:56 pm

ah the Edwards Genises alarms nice one, small & out of the way except that horrible back box on it & the wiring conduit.
Jason C is the new ruler of this board,
do what he says or he'll cut off your big toe!
On that you can trust me on.

StonedChipmunk

Tue May 01, 2007 5:31 pm

I know, but the building was built in 1962 with cinder blocks, and the basement has 1/4 inch walls, so they didn't have any other options in terms of mounting and wiring.

SirenEnthusiast360

Re: fire alarm in appartment complex

Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:
SirenEnthusiast360 wrote:I hate the red boxy looking alarms they have in most appartment buildings.
Actually, it just depends on what alarms the contractor feels like using. We've got really tiny white ones here in my dorm:
If they were installed when the building was built, they wouldn't even need the wiring box on the back of it (which would make it almost flush with the wall).

You may be thinking of the wiring box I mentioned, though. If the system is installed in a new "appartment", then they don't have the wiring box and it's pretty flush with the wall. But I think you're talking about the red square instead of the newer small white ones. Yes, these are really annoying and they stand out too well when you don't need them to.
Those look exactly like what I'm thinking of, except that one is WHITE! I have never seen a white fire alarm like that one, the only white ones I've seen are those round ones that people have in their houses. I am used to seeing the comercial ones as red.
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Daniel

Thu May 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Our newest building has white ones just like the photo. Extremely loud and irritating, like a hundred athletic whistles blowing code-3 at once. I guess I'm old school, but I miss the old 120 volt horn alarms. They SOUNDED like a fire alarm.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”