Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

DC motors in modern sirens

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:40 pm

I have been making plans for some siren prototypes if I ever start a company that makes sirens. I just want to know, where do FS, ASC, and Sentry get their DC motors from? I tried googling "series wound DC motor" and the results were nothing like the motors used in sirens. I have noticed that the DC motors ASC and Federal Signal use look the same, but where do they get them from?
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

GabrielFairchild

Re: DC motors in modern sirens

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:16 pm

I looked but I found nothing ;( .But you can try writing Federal Signal, ASC or Sentry an email or contacting them. They probably know more than anyone else.
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

FS Rotor

Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:26 am

Their motors are made to work on AC and DC. But I'm afraid I can't help you more than that right now, but I will update you if there is anything new.
Proud owner of a 4/5 Thunderbolt, Federal Sign & Signal SD-10, large Heath Engineering Siren, and a bunch of smaller sirens.

connerdstines

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:06 am

Iv'e seen the tag on one before, but i can't remember the name of the company. It's like a giant cordless drill motor.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

Unit of Civil Defense

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:11 am

Baldor makes the big electric motors........they also come with a big price tag.........I imagine your could presumably run a Chrysler air raid siren minus the Hemi engine with one of their big electric motors.......TECO-Westinghouse and Dayton also make electric motors.
...if I where you I would start with an industrial supply co. like Graingers they sell all different types of electrical motors and since , I am assuming you more than likely have researched all of the spec's, should be able to locate a motor that fits your needs......there are other industrial supply company's out there that sell electric motors as well......Northern Tool & Equipment comes to mind
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

connerdstines

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 am

Leeson. That's one that makes the motors in question. Can't for the life of me remember the other.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

Westgate Thunderbolt

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:42 am

Federal Signal uses Prestolite for the 2001.
Owner of a Federal Electric Model 2, Federal Sign and Signal SD-10, Federal Sign and Signal 1000(T) and a H.O.R. Si-Rex 7:10 Omnidirectional

Cast Iron

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:42 am

I'm new here, and see that your post is a bit old. But if you haven't found your answer, a company called Warfield Electric makes the DC motors used in many Federal sirens, from the model Q firetruck siren, up to the 2001, 508, and Eclipse 8 outdoor warning sirens. 6.5 HP and 48 volts are common for these.

Wdr

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:07 pm

First thing that comes to my mind would be motors used in forklifts/golf carts and such, maybe try searching for manufacturers of those or even current off the shelf models? I'd think Likely the D.C. Motors in sirens are custom built to specifications made by the siren company. Another idea would be standard 3 phase ac motor with an inverter drive however I'm thinking that's not commonly used on sirens because lighting and inverters don't play well.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”