PFD1

AR timer voltage

Tue May 08, 2007 8:08 pm

What voltage does the Federal AR timer supply to the motor starter? I have an old Federal mechanical timer that I would like to hook up to my siren but need to know what voltage trips the coil in the starter.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Re: AR timer voltage

Tue May 08, 2007 8:40 pm

PFD1 wrote:What voltage does the Federal AR timer supply to the motor starter? I have an old Federal mechanical timer that I would like to hook up to my siren but need to know what voltage trips the coil in the starter.
The AR doesn't provide any voltage, it only closes the contact switches to complete the circuit from the starter coil. You will need to derive the power form the motor contactor. The AR's power and starter coil power are on two separate circuits. In other words, the AR is just one big fancy switch for your motor contactor.

PFD1

AR Timer voltage

Tue May 08, 2007 9:30 pm

I understand that the AR is the switch, so is the motor contactor sending power back to it? It order for a switch to work, it has to interupt the power. Sorry if I'm missing something here. What I'm attempting to do is add the old mechanical timer (pull the hook) into the circuit. Thanks

PFD1

AR timer voltage

Tue May 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Disregard!!! I got it working. I got to thinking about what you said and looking at the contactor and the light bulb (and the siren) came on. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”