Bdesantis5632

YouTube Username: RailYardWarrior

Problem with Thunderbolt AR

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:26 am

Hello all,

Today I have been working on my thunderbolt AR controls and ran into problems. Something is wrong with the wiring somewhere, but I can't locate the bug. I have the box plugged into the wall, and the light comes on. However, power does not go to the siren, and the "Test" and "Cancel" buttons are not responsive. After running some tests it seems everything else inside the box is working fine, the power just isn't going to the siren. Am I doing something wrong? Could someone please help with this?
Proud owner of the Sheldon Park EOWS 612 and two Thunderbolts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd0_8j ... subscriber

ACAP50

YouTube Username: Wisconsin Sirens
Discord: asa#0001

Re: Problem with Thunderbolt AR

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 am

Try switching the wires around and see if it works and if it doesn't just call FS

Bdesantis5632

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:35 am

ACAP50 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 am
Try switching the wires around and see if it works and if it doesn't just call FS
There isn't much wire switching I could do, I'm connecting the wires exactly where they tell me on the instructions

GabrielFairchild

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi there, I recently purchased an AR timer on eBay and I was having similar issues. Here's what I would do.

Power not going to the siren: keep in mind that AR timer does not give any power to the siren, it is basically just like a switch or relay. You'll have to get power to the siren separately.

Test button: the wires coming out of the test button should be going to terminals 1 and 2 on the lower Bank, On my timer the wires are orange and purple. If the wires are going to these Terminals and the problem still persists then the button has most likely failed, Or the timer was wired incorrectly.

Cancel button: keep in mind that even after the cancel button is pressed they cam motor does not stop, and will continue to go for the full 3 minute cycle but, the siren should stop after the cancel button is pressed.

The timer may also not be working properly because it was connected to a radio activation system while it was in service (mine had this problem) if so, you will need to add some jumpers to the timer. Those jumpers are between 15 and 16 on the upper Bank and between 13 on the upper bank and 6 on the lower Bank.

Here is schematic that shows how I wired my AR Timer with my Model D.
Attachments
Capture9965.PNG
Here is my s

Schematic
Capture9965.PNG (25.53 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

Bdesantis5632

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:13 am

GabrielFairchild wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 pm
Hi there, I recently purchased an AR timer on eBay and I was having similar issues. Here's what I would do.

Power not going to the siren: keep in mind that AR timer does not give any power to the siren, it is basically just like a switch or relay. You'll have to get power to the siren separately.

Test button: the wires coming out of the test button should be going to terminals 1 and 2 on the lower Bank, On my timer the wires are orange and purple. If the wires are going to these Terminals and the problem still persists then the button has most likely failed, Or the timer was wired incorrectly.

Cancel button: keep in mind that even after the cancel button is pressed they cam motor does not stop, and will continue to go for the full 3 minute cycle but, the siren should stop after the cancel button is pressed.

The timer may also not be working properly because it was connected to a radio activation system while it was in service (mine had this problem) if so, you will need to add some jumpers to the timer. Those jumpers are between 15 and 16 on the upper Bank and between 13 on the upper bank and 6 on the lower Bank.

Here is schematic that shows how I wired my AR Timer with my Model D.
Thanks for the help! I checked the wiring for the buttons and it seems to be set up correctly. I don't have a way to give power to the siren without setting it off so I don't know if the test or cancel buttons work yet.

Here's how it looks-

Thanks again!

DrDanthrax99

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm

If you have the AR hooked to the RCM1 properly you can switch the "Control" switch to "Test" and start a signal and it will only initiate the chopper starter and Agastat, and you'll know the AR works.
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

Bdesantis5632

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 pm

DrDanthrax99 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm
If you have the AR hooked to the RCM1 properly you can switch the "Control" switch to "Test" and start a signal and it will only initiate the chopper starter and Agastat, and you'll know the AR works.
Thank you but the AR and RCM are disconnected

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm

The AR and AF timers don't output any power. They are only timed switches.
The uploaded diagram is correct for a simple timer activated circuit.
With the timer not cycling, disconnected, and all power turned OFF push TEST and see if you have continuity between 1 and 2.
The test switch simply closes the circuit to those to terminals. It should be open (without the timer cycling)
all the time until you push the button.
And make sure there is a jumper wire between terminals 15 and 16 on the small terminal strip.
If there isn't a jumper there the cancel circuit is open all the time and the timer will instantly cancel every time
you try to cycle it.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”