The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:42 am 

YouTube Username: Jacobmaster121
Sorry for bumping but wouldn't it just be easier to put a small electric engine to serve has backup instead of an advance battery system?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 am 

The thunderbolt 7000 and 2000 sirens were made by federal signal and they already had some kind of backup, well the 7000 had a backup system while the 2000 was mostly just gasoline powered. In the end, battery backup was much more efficient and cheaper than having a gasoline engine powering the siren, and the tbolt drew too much power to use battery backup. The tbolt was a great siren, it just wasnt future proof.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:29 am 

Well I did have my Idea that you would call insane. it would be to have a box with water i it and have a strong radio transmitter by it. radio waves create heat so it would turn the water into steam witch would spin a generator wheel creating backup power when activated .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:58 am 

Well thats interesting never heard of radio waves creating heat but ok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 am 
Supporter
Supporter

YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391
jacob585 wrote: *
Well I did have my Idea that you would call insane. it would be to have a box with water i it and have a strong radio transmitter by it. radio waves create heat so it would turn the water into steam witch would spin a generator wheel creating backup power when activated .
What kind of stuff are you smoking? First off I highly doubt this would work at all. Second why would somebody design a backup system which uses water and steam for a generator? Can't see this being very reliable.

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:11 pm 

SoundMaster 391 wrote: *
jacob585 wrote: *
What kind of stuff are you smoking? First off I highly doubt this would work at all. Second why would somebody design a backup system which uses water and steam for a generator? Can't see this being very reliable.
I'm not smoking anything for your information. that is home grown insane designs. and yes I know that is an insane design.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:30 pm 

Driving the motor wouldn’t be hard from batteries, but I also doubt it could be done for $3000. I think some manufactures have off the shelf VFD drives that will accept a dc input into their buss(all of them rectify to dc anyway). That could be powered from batteries but the major issue being it would need 3-400 volts dc for a 240v class three phase motor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm 

YouTube Username: Marco Pulone
needless to say there is still NO market for a Tbolt backup unit. EOD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm 
Developer
Developer

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031
It wouldn't be impossible to make a Tbolt with battery-backup. If you start with the B series, it would probably be easy to get a system running on 48V. Can't say that it will run as long as a 2001 or 508 on batteries though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 pm 

it theoretically could be done but it would cost alot of money and the batteries would last at most, for a month.