Hacksaw

LRAD may be installed in San Jose

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 am

Talking to the newest EM head of San Jose last week, it looks like LRAD may be getting installed.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/new-lrad-emerg ... eek-floods

http://www.ktvu.com/news/289087049-video

Though, he did say he wanted to take down existing sirens, refurbish them, and reinstall them. I told him that may not work too well, since spare parts will be an issue. San Jose' sirens are Sreamasters, Model 5/7's, & SD-10's. Bearing can be had, but, other part, like motor rewinding, could get pricey. :shock:

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: LRAD may be installed in San Jose

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm

The Federal sirens should be fine as there isn't much to fail on them. It just depends on whether the castings have borked themselves somehow. The Scream Masters are a completely different story! (But I'd love to see them try and recondition them because it's a Scream Master)
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:12 pm

They are not going to get the range they expect with those 360X-2 speakers. They are only 320 watts per cell. The 360X-2 is more on par with a Whelen WPS-2902, MOD2008B, and I-Force 800, roughly the same performance with way better intelligibility. A mile of range is a big stretch for them, it's closer to about 1/4 mile.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 am

I always wondered if these actually have a tone generator to actually make a legit siren sound.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 am

...The Federal sirens won't be that of an issue (given those sirens are pretty well documented) but the Screammasters will sure be another story.

(By the way, I would really like to hear one of those Screammasters in action...)
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Darley Champion wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 am
...The Federal sirens won't be that of an issue (given those sirens are pretty well documented) but the Screammasters will sure be another story.

(By the way, I would really like to hear one of those Screammasters in action...)
I'm pretty sure those scream masters are 6/8 port.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

WindowsWhistler2419
YouTube Username: JD

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Has there been any known recordings of a scream master siren?

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm

I've actually once thought of an LRAD serving as a 'siren'.

Just one question; can it run with something like a legit electronic siren controller (e.g UltraVoice) without a tone generator (Or did the UV has a tone generator built in?)?

EDIT : Sorry for misunderstanding. I thought this about a Long Range Acoustic Device will be used for mass notification, but actually about an LRAD-brand siren will be installed. What about correcting the thread title? I'm afraid of misunderstanding.
Last edited by FahmiRBLX on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm

FahmiRBLX wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm
I've actually once thought of an LRAD serving as a 'siren'.

Just one question; can it run with something like a legit electronic siren controller (e.g UltraVoice) without a tone generator (Or did the UV has a tone generator built in?)?
I'm pretty sure they can run on a siren controller. You'd have to be careful of the tone the controller produces and the wattage the amps drive the head at to keep the heat down. The XL driver in the 360X series is rated at 320 watts, and that's what LRAD's amps push it towards. They are also built a little differently than an ordinary compression driver, so they might not be able to take a lot of heat and stress.

As far as their controller goes it's basically an MP3 player from what I can tell. They can load tone files into the memory that can be played back through the speakers. As long as the tone is clean it will work just fine. If I'm not mistaken the only difference between this and most other siren controllers is that the tones have to be manually generated vs something like an UltraVoice which generates it's own tone files on the spot and plays it back through the amps. The system of ATI's at Ft. Rucker do this, albeit with tones straight from Whelen's tone library, and they work fine. At one point LRAD listed a "360XS" siren series on their site that from what I can tell basically implemented this design. They removed the series, probably because it was redundant.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Daniel

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52 am

I believe that Scream Masters were single-toned with sixteen ports, so they would sound like a high-pitched Sterling.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”