SiroRailfan

YouTube Username: Trains N' Stuff

Tillamook, Oregon dam sirens?? (and others)

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Hello once again,

I recently came upon a topic related to sirens in the Tillamook, Oregon area. There was a comment on that regarding dam sirens in the area. Sure enough, I did research and there are (?) dam sirens there. The thing is, I can't seem to find them anywhere. If anybody has any idea as to where they are, please feel free to comment below with the google maps link (street view if possible). This also makes me wonder, with the Bonneville and John Day dams, wouldn't they have sirens in case of a breach or something? I know The Dalles, and Stevenson have sirens (Cascade Locks had one as well, it was taken down sometime between August 2017 and July 2018 I believe), and I don't know if those are used anymore. If they are, I wonder if they're used for the dams? Does anybody have any information about this?

Google Maps to the cascade locks siren (at least where it used to be): https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6751407 ... 312!8i6656

Two other links in regards to the Tillamook Dam sirens:
http://local.nixle.com/alert/4927184/
https://www.tillamookheadlightherald.co ... a7077.html
Musician, railfan, and photographer over here!

~Tobias

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: Tillamook, Oregon dam sirens?? (and others)

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:55 am

I cant help you with the dam sirens in Oregon, but...
Here in Kansas we have sirens located along the spill way of the reservoirs. A few minutes before the water is released/gate(s) opened, a siren or sirens are activated to warn fishermen or who ever else is present to seek higher ground. A couple of examples that I can think of are the spillway at Tuttle Creek Reservoir, Rocky Ford spillway, Manhattan, Ks. and the Spillway at Lake Perry, Perry Ks.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

SiroRailfan

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:55 am
I cant help you with the dam sirens in Oregon, but...
Here in Kansas we have sirens located along the spill way of the reservoirs. A few minutes before the water is released/gate(s) opened, a siren or sirens are activated to warn fishermen or who ever else is present to seek higher ground. A couple of examples that I can think of are the spillway at Tuttle Creek Reservoir, Rocky Ford spillway, Manhattan, Ks. and the Spillway at Lake Perry, Perry Ks.
That's definitely sounds interesting for sure! What kind of sirens are in the systems?

~Tobias

Unit of Civil Defense

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:19 am

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here about siren types, but I'll try and answer your question as best as I can.
It's been years, but I recall seeing what looked like a Model 5 at Lake Perry's spillway. The reservoir system here in Kansas was developed thru out the 60's into the early 70's. The reservoirs here in Kansas are maintained and managed by the Corp of Engineers, so I think it could be safe to say that the sirens used at the spillways would be like I described being used at Lake Perry considering when the dams where constructed and that they would all have been government projects......sirens being replaced due to damage or not being able to be serviced anymore not with standing.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

SiroRailfan

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 am

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here about siren types, but I'll try and answer your question as best as I can.
It's been years, but I recall seeing what looked like a Model 5 at Lake Perry's spillway. The reservoir system here in Kansas was developed thru out the 60's into the early 70's. The reservoirs here in Kansas are maintained and managed by the Corp of Engineers, so I think it could be safe to say that the sirens used at the spillways would be like I described being used at Lake Perry considering when the dams where constructed and that they would all have been government projects......sirens being replaced due to damage or not being able to be serviced anymore not with standing.
That kinda sucks about the sirens being replaced, given the circumstances, that makes sense though. Thank you for explaining (to the best of your knowledge) the system.

~Tobias

Austen_lyon123
YouTube Username: SouthWest Car Washes
Discord: Phryozz #5522

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Is this what you're talking about?
Attachments
Perry Lake Model 2.jpg
Perry Lake Model 2.jpg (798.15 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Your Car Wash Nut

Unit of Civil Defense

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 am

WOW, I am sincerely impressed...and thanks for doing that....my Google Earth posting images leaves some to be desired. :oops: Yes, that is it. Its been 15 - 20 years since I was at that spillway and kind of surprised its still around.

Another spillway siren system worth looking into would be the one at Tuttle Creek Reservoir Manhattan, Ks. (the spillway area itself is often called "Rocky Ford" by the locals) The spillway is located in the South East portion of the reservoir. The reason that I bring this up is that the dam recently was earth quake retrofitted since it sits on top of a fault line....I'm thinking that there could possibly be a newer siren or system of sirens at that location.
SiroRailfan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 am
That kinda sucks about the sirens being replaced, given the circumstances, that makes sense though. Thank you for explaining (to the best of your knowledge) the system.
I don't know for sure that any have been replaced, rather, I was trying to say there could have been some replacements that I am not aware of due to age and replacement parts availability or sirens that could have been damaged beyond repair (lightning strikes, damaging winds, tornados)....
....Lifes great, I'm 58

SiroRailfan

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 am

@Unit of Civil Defense

Makes sense. It all sounds interesting, maybe when I go to Kansas (whenever that will be) I'll check them out. Over here, the only dam I know that has sirens is the Holser Dam, outside of Ashland, Oregon (southern oregon). That system is modulators, which are sprawled across Ashland, one of which you can see from the I-5 (I'll post screenshots of the various sirens in another reply), but that's the only dam with a siren system in the state that I am certain about. I think there's another one in Central Oregon somewhere, and I obviously am aware of a possible siren system for a dam near Tillamook (hence is why I started this thread) due to multiple sources, but unconfirmed. Which also makes me wonder about the gorge dams, if they have siren systems in the nearby towns (Stevenson, a town pretty close to the Bonneville Dam, has a Thunderbolt 1003 (which I'm unsure if it's used, that's partially why I put this thread up), and Cascade Locks had some weird looking Darley near the airport). Maybe I should put this up in the thread description? idk.

~Tobias

Hacksaw

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Kern County's Office of Emergency Services has ordered two sirens to be installed to warn residents of the Lake Isabella area if officials think the collapse of the dam is imminent -- or if it collapses without warning.

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/ring-t ... f2f8a.html

SamtheSirenMan(531)

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Found one of them!
https://goo.gl/maps/nkPTSrJb9iTAdGWT7
I know that Tillamook County completely abandoned tsunami sirens and removed all of them, but maybe they still have the dam sirens. Hopefully. This siren definitely looks ex-Trojan to me.
Siren enthusiast of about three to four years, one of the few siren YouTubers of Oregon
Owner of a partially screwed 1969 STH-10 and a few other small sirens
Oregon State Siren Map V. 2
Email(best contact method): [email protected]

Return to “Community Systems”